Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Egr Question Agan - Sorry!

machineage

Hi all

Well the time has come to let my old beloved car go - and I have settled on an IQ as its replacement. However my finances preclude me from later model cars - and place me firmly in the market for a pre-2010 model purchased from a private vendor.

I wanted to know the current status with the EGR issue... I read on here that at least one person had the necessary work carried out FOC on a car whose warranty had expired. Is it the case that this has set a precedent - such that if you approached Toyota they would (under duress) carry out the work if it hadn't already been done?

Also is it the case that the issue will present itself on all pre 2010 reg 1.0L cars at some stage?

I have looked at a couple of cars - both 2009 reg IQ2 - both circa 45k miles - both had not had the work done.

Thanks from a prospective IQite :kisss:

It isn't as clear cut as that.

Yes, early models of the IQ seem to be more prone to EGR issues, but that is not to say that all early models will have problems.

For an out of warranty repair you would be reliant on the manufacturer (in this case Toyota) agreeing to provide a goodwill contribution towards the cost of repair. Please note that a goodwill contribution may not mean the full cost of the repair, but a contribution.

When deciding whether or not to provide a goodwill contribution, the manufacturer will want to look at the vehicle's service history, and whether it has been maintained according to the manufacturer's service schedule and using parts of sufficient quality.

Goodwill works both ways - the manufacturer may show loyalty to the owner by helping with an out-of-warranty repair by providing a goodwill contribution, and the owner shows loyalty to the manufacturer by having the vehicle serviced within that manufacturer's dealer network.

If the vehicle has been serviced outside the manufacturer's dealer network by an independent garage, the chances of a goodwill contribution will be reduced. If the car has been serviced by the owner, the chances of a goodwill contribution will be further reduced.

If the manufacturer agrees to a goodwill contribution, they will require the remedial work to be undertaken within their dealer network.

Expecting to apply duress to a manufacturer when asking for a goodwill contribution, won't be successful. Remember you're asking for them to help you financially when the vehicle is outside their warranty - so there is no legal obligation or otherwise for them to provide assistance.

Having said that, Toyota is one of the most sympathetic vehicle manufacturers. So if the vehicle has a provable service history where servicing has been done on schedule and parts similar in quality to OE parts have been used (and the onus would be on the owner to prove this), they may be receptive to providing some assistance.

The above comments will apply to any manufacturer.

• Like 2

Thank you Frosty

I wonder if anyone could comment if they have had the issue sorted FOC by Toyota on an out of warranty car?

Would the personal safety issue have any leverage?

I wonder also why it only affects certain cars of this period - surely they were all manufactured with the same components in the same way? Does it have anything to do with driving style / conditions etc?

Can the issue be effectively resolved in any other way once it has developed?

I would endeavour to buy a car that has FTSH and one that has had the work done - but I rather prefer servicing my cars myself :ermm:

Thanks!

See previous thread - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/147454-egr-problem/

As regards this being a safety issue, in a previous thread, I posted that affected owners would need to go through the formal Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (formerly VOSA) process for reporting possible safety issues. If DVSA receive an number of complaints about the same issue, they investigate the issue with the manufacturer, and any such investigation would result in either formal recall action, the manufacturer possibly issuing something like a technical service bulletin for dealers to act upon as necessary, or it would be reported back that a recall isn't required (for whatever reason - which could be insufficient numbers of owners raising the issue).

One member (who has now left the forum) did follow through this process, but received no support from other IQ owners (in the form of similar approaches to the Agency) - so DVSA reported back that there were insufficient grounds for a recall.

It does seem that driving style/conditions can lead to the EGR building up deposits. Some owners have cleaned their EGR's on a regular basis. Some owners keep to using non-supermarket fuel or premium fuel. Some owners have used additives to help reduce deposits.

• Like 1

Essentially with this issue, there is a small hole in the intake manifold that gets blocked up with soot like material. Toyota acknowledeged it in their bulletin about it. Their mod in later models was to swap the way the EGR valve is connected, which they say reduces the build up. Now i was one of the people who got mine done for free outside the then 3 year warranty. 2 plus years down the line i start to notice a similar if not the same problem. So i invest in some Redex cleaner and 4 tankfulls later, car is as good as when i bought it if not better. My thoughts are that this sooting up is a design error but for a few ££'s you can clean this build up. And i suggest to people who have this problem to try the cleaner first before spending the £900 for the repair. And keep it clean

David

Well for my own research I thought I would select three Toyota dealers at random to pose the question... I have to say I generally avoid dealers if I can help it given past experiences - and my latest communications served only to reinforce that stance. Of the three dealers - all said Toyota would not carry out the work FOC / with goodwill on a 2009 reg car. One service agent was unbelievably rude - to the point that I questioned his disparaging tone - the conversation ended shortly after :mellow:

Oh well.... I never have / never will let car dealers affect my decision making.

I asked one if the work would be noted on Toyota's database - and he suggested that Service Bulletin work is not always logged - and depended on whether the dealership was VA registered.

So I guess I have to err on the side of caution - and try to find car that has had the work done. Or look for a less expensive car - or wait for the later model cars to reduce in price. Decisions decisions...

Hi

You do know do you that the mod update EGR is visable by looking under the bonnet so you dont have to rely on the owners telling you

David

Hi

You do know do you that the mod update EGR is visable by looking under the bonnet so you dont have to rely on the owners telling you

David

Hi David

Yes - although the images in previous posts appear to be no longer viewable. Would I be correct to suggest the recirculation pipe was fitted pre-cataytic on unmodified cars - and post-catalytic on modified cars?

Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links