Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A Potential Buyer And Looking Forward To Joining You

geck

Hi,

I am going this Thursday to look at a RAV4 xt5 on 56 plate (07 model).

I have a mechanic friend going with me and have already researched some potential issues with RAVs thanks to Anchorman (I think) in his reply to another potential buyer.

My main concern is that this car has 150,000 miles on its 2.2 Diesel engine. It has a FULL dealer service history (every 10,000) miles on the dot).

What are the gadgets like for reliability? My Sat NAV in a citroen stopped talking to me after 50,000 miles for example.

My other worry is the way the back door opens. Is this really a problem or just something you get used to (parking 10 feet from nearest obstacle :crazy: ).

Any advice?
Thanks.

Hi, Welcome to the club... Enjoy :driving:

Hi Kevin.

I am getting warning bells in my head about this car if it is a 2007 as it fits exactly into a batch of bad engines Toyota made for a 3 year period. If it has had a new engine fitted by Toyota, either a 3/4 engine or a full one, not a dealer rebuild and even worse a non Toyota garage rebuild then walk away from it. If the engine has been replaced then it could be a good buy. The engines during this time suffered from various problems mainly head gaskets and oil useage. The pistons were 'too tall' and once a thin layer of carbon deposited on the top it would blow the head gasket due to lack of clearance.

The gadgets on the car overall i think are quite reliable and the rear door is not an issue to me.

Regards Mike.

Hello Kevin - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

Thanks for the greetings.

Mike, I will see if I can determine an engine replacement. Is there a serial number or something I can look for on the "Bad" batch?

If this is 150K on the clock, is this not a sign that it is NOT a bad one?

Just a thought from a non-car person.

Cheers.

Hi Kevin.

What you need to do is simply write down the reg. number. and take it to the service dep't of a Toyota Dealership, chat to them and ask them to put the reg. number into their computer system and all the records of the car will come up and they will be able to tell you 100% if the car has ever had an engine change and who did it as it will be on their system. It was a goodwill gesture by Toyota and as long as the car was regulary serviced bt themselves (Toyota) i believe the period they would change the engine was up to 6-7 years after that hey would decline. To pay for a replacement engine yourself is £7000.00+ but Toyota footed the bill if it fitted within their criteria.

If the car you are looking at is a manual gearbox replacement clutches can be expensive just to warn you, in excess of £1000.00 is fairly common.

Regards Mike.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links