Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Remote Key

tezzer1

hi all can i buy a used remote key,have a new blade cut for it and program it for my 2006 yaris following the instructions on the internet. I ask this as i can buy one for around £35 on the internet cheers terry

just an update on the yaris key to save anyone getting ripped off. i bought a used one from eBay cost me 35 quid another fiver to have the blade cut. then been in touch with an auto locksmith who has told that the key is useless as it cannot be reprogrammed because of the type of chip, and the only thing to do is go to the dealers for a new one. so going to see if i can get my money back from the sellr on eBay now :disgust:

Thanks for the feedback.

It's pretty hit and miss with the second hand remote modules; There can be up three types depending on the model of car, and while usually you can the remote central locking to work, getting the ECU to take the immobilizer code can be tricky.

I currently have a franken-key with mine; I use an eBay'd remote module to lock/unlock the car, but the autolocksmith couldn't get the car to take the key's transponder code; In the end he copied the transponder code off my working key onto an RFID and we blutacked it inside the key casing :lol:

That has been working ever since, but in hindsight it would have only cost me £10 more and a lot less hassle to just get Toyota to code me one...!

One problem with transponders is that they aren't all equal. For one make (not Toyota) until about 5 years ago 40-bit was common but nowadays 80-bit are standard. The 80-bits can apparently work with the older 40-bit car systems, but not vice-versa. There is likely to be a similar disparity in other makes and I suspect going back earlier there may be sub40-bit systems.

If you don't use the manufacturer's solution it will be down to chance, trial-and-error or a good auto-electrician to get a fully working key.

contacted the person who i got the from on eBay and this is what they (see below for answer ). I am going to ring the auto electrician tomorrow and get his opinion. wish i had not tried saving a few quid now , and gone straight to toyota for a key

Hi the chip is a 4C chip same as a ford chip they can be programmed as many times as you like

How to program the remote to start the car

1. Enter the car and close all of the doors.
2. Simultaneously press then release both the brake and accelerator pedals.
3. Within five seconds, insert a working pre-programmed key into the ignition cylinder, and turn to the "on" position.*
4. Within fifteen seconds of turning the ignition, press and release the accelerator pedal five times for a primary key. (Press and release four times for a valet key.)
5. Within twenty seconds, press and release the brake pedal six times for a primary key. (Press and release only five times for a valet key.)
6. Turn the ignition "off" and immediately remove the key.
7. Within ten seconds of removing the key, insert the new key and turn it to the "on" position.*
8. Within ten seconds, press and release the accelerator pedal once. The security light will then flash for 60-80 seconds and then turn off. When the security light stops flashing the programming should be complete.
9. Remove the key and press the brake pedal once OR wait 10 seconds.
10. Start the vehicle to verify that programming was successful.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links