Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 1.0 To 1.3 Or 1.5 And Possible Head Gasket

Qas101

So I have owned my 2006 Yaris for 2 months it has 97k. To my dismay I have noticed the white residue in my oil cap. However no oil in coolant, no over heating and no exhaust smoke symptoms. My car does use up oil though. I have read up and it could be condensation in my cylinder head due to my short journeys as I only drive to work and gym which are 1.5 miles each way. I don't always warm it up but due to the recent weather I have started now. I don't really want to take the risk of waiting around until the head gasket goes and don't fancy going to a garage to get ripped off as I'm only a student. This brings me onto my second query if I do need a new head gasket and for it to be skimmed I would rather just by a new engine for the same price. My uncle can fit it in as he has done this stuff before. I've never really liked the engine it's quite sluggish and it's my first car so I was considering a bigger Yaris engine such as the 1.3, 1.33 or even 1.5. Any idea if it is possible and what I would need to change ? Apologies in advance if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about just throwing about a few ideas

Are you losing coolant?

A 2006 Yaris would be a 1.0 12v 3 cylinder unit these can be a little thirsty on oil especially as the mileage gets a bit higher or if people start using too thick/poor quality oil, they are also well known for creating the white sludge in the oil filler cap. So long as the oil consumption is < 0.5lt in 621miles and there is no coolant loss there is no issue.

Clean the sludge, change the oil filter and use a quality 0W20 or 5w30 oil and give the oil beather and PCV valve a clean out at the same time.

Okay it's using 5w30 Castrol at the moment I'll keep cleaning the sludge and clean out all the parts as you've stated and see what that does. Thank you for your info

A 2006 Yaris would be a 1.0 12v 3 cylinder unit these can be a little thirsty on oil especially as the mileage gets a bit higher or if people start using too thick/poor quality oil, they are also well known for creating the white sludge in the oil filler cap. So long as the oil consumption is < 0.5lt in 621miles and there is no coolant loss there is no issue.

Clean the sludge, change the oil filter and use a quality 0W20 or 5w30 oil and give the oil beather and PCV valve a clean out at the same time.

"I don't always warm it up but due to the recent weather I have started now.​"

You said you only do short journeys - 1.5 miles each way, then you said the above quote.

Are you meaning you are going to warm up the engine by leaving it running until you jump in and do the 1.5 miles.???

Warming up an engine like that is not recommended. The best way of warming an engine up is by driving it within seconds of starting up. That's driving steadily, not zipping through gears.

At a journey of 1.5 miles have you not thought of cycling to where you go and use the car for longer journeys.

Another consideration if you change the engine to a larger one is not to forget to notify your insurance company. It is a major modification you doing and they need to be informed. Will result in you paying more for your insurance as well.

Also check out such things as brakes and suspension, that they are ok to deal with the extra weight and power that will be there with a bigger engine.

Its not going to be as straight forward as "I will just stick a bigger engine in".

"I don't always warm it up but due to the recent weather I have started now.​"

You said you only do short journeys - 1.5 miles each way, then you said the above quote.

Are you meaning you are going to warm up the engine by leaving it running until you jump in and do the 1.5 miles.???

Warming up an engine like that is not recommended. The best way of warming an engine up is by driving it within seconds of starting up. That's driving steadily, not zipping through gears.

At a journey of 1.5 miles have you not thought of cycling to where you go and use the car for longer journeys.

Another consideration if you change the engine to a larger one is not to forget to notify your insurance company. It is a major modification you doing and they need to be informed. Will result in you paying more for your insurance as well.

Also check out such things as brakes and suspension, that they are ok to deal with the extra weight and power that will be there with a bigger engine.

Its not going to be as straight forward as "I will just stick a bigger engine in".

Thanks for the info on warming up I will do that in future as I only usually drive the car when the light goes off. I did actually walk to work but I got sick of it in the cold and it's just quicker and more convenient. As far as the engine swap is concerned it was just a thought and hopefully nothing I have to think about now

I assume you are an auto mechanic as you are thinking about fitting a bigger engine. There are LOTS of potential issues - will the wiring work, which ecu will I get, will the gearbox and clutch fit, driveshafts, radiator, brakes etc.. etc..

If you don't understand what I am saying , odds are you are not competent to do it.

• Like 1

To be honest what you've described doesn't sound like anything to worry about if you're doings short journeys. If in doubt get a compression test done.

Oil wise our 1.0 mk1 used about 1L every 3-4k miles which I deemed acceptable at 192k miles :)

Hi,

If you decided to go down the change of engine route and you need any help with insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links