Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ignition / Starting Problem

2007aurisd4d2.0

My 56 plate 2007 Auris 2.0 D4D (which hasn't been serviced for some time other than oil/filter changes) is having some starting problems...

When starting up the ignition turns over 'chugs' away more than you would normally expect, around 4-5 seconds before the engine starts.

I intially thought the Battery and replaced it but the issue remains.

I'm using the right type of oil (read a thread which said that may be the issue) so I'm thinking that the next step to try would be changing the Glow Plugs - or would anyone suggest anything else before going down this road?

It looks like it'll be around £80 to replace all four judging by the list price on Eurocarpart:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Toyota_Auris_2.0_2007/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/ignition/glowplug/?43882040J&1&1d22a575bd995bdc8cdfae59fd5dbf273a21631b&000164

Also, when changing the glow plugs, what tools are needed (socket/ratchet set only I presue?) and finally, does anyone have a link to a good thread/video that would help as I'm hoping to do this over the Christmas break.

Any advice appreciated..

You can check glow plugs if you're confident. Take the wire off the top of each one, connect a length of wire to the positve Battery terminal, touch the other end of the wire against the connection on the top of the glow plug. If you get a juicy spark the plug is ok, if you get no spark it's knackered. If it's difficult to reach the connection at the top of the glow plug then hold a long screwdriver or similar against the connection thus extending it to somewhere you can reach, and touch your wire against the screwdriver shaft. Some older style glow plgs work from one common power rail - if yours has this then you need to disconnect it from all plugs before you start.

I haven't changed plugs on your particular engine but in general they're very tight, so use a decent quality well fitting socket, and do it with a hot engine (but don't burn yourself touching all the hot things).

thanks Alan, useful. Appreciate thoughts on, in particular, if replacing the glow plugs ought to be the next logical step given the symtoms...

thanks Alan, useful. Appreciate thoughts on, in particular, if replacing the glow plugs ought to be the next logical step given the symtoms...

Personally I'd certainly check them - a faulty one can give you bad cold starting.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links