Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Airbags

Flipsy68

Hi All,

A few days ago I had a serious accident in my 2015 Rav4 Icon AWD. I was hit on the rear passenger side by a lorry. The curtain airbags activated on the driver side from and rear and the front passenger side but not the rear passenger. As a result my 6 year old son suffered a serious head injury by his head hitting the door and being air lifted to hospital. What I would like to know is is there any known issues with the curtain airbags and what potentially could cause the curtain airbag to activate?

Hi All,

The curtain airbags activated on the driver side from and rear and the front passenger side but not the rear passenger.

Hello Phil - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Is the above quote supposed to say 'front and rear' or 'from the rear'?

Sorry to hear about the RTA, and hope your son will be OK.

As far as I'm aware there are no particular issues with curtain airbags.

Globally there have been several recalls regarding front airbags manufactured by a company called Takata, involving around 11 vehicle manufacturers and approx 53 million vehicles. Takata have already been fined $70 million in the US, and I believe law suits are pending against Takata.

There are various factors involved as to whether airbags deploy in a collision, including whether the impact is sufficient enough to activate the various SRS sensors around the car, the location of the impact, etc. For example, last year a forum member with an IQ collided with a lorry trailer, and the front passenge airbag didn't deploy. The impact on the IQ was over the bonnet and above where the front airbag sensor was located.

I doubt whether anyone on the forum can provide exact advice for you.

Can't help with your airbag queries, but more importantly, just wanted to say that I hope your youngster is on the mend

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links