Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Dealer

BLUEJ

Car was in at Toyota yesterday for its yearly service, 2 questions i asked:

1. Would they fit the cruise control

2. Would they chip the car to give a bit more power

They said no to both, i said why not, my car is a 2009 Auris SR, it is an older car that is out of Toyota warranty, why do dealers not do these sort of things, they have the expertise & the equipment & it doesn't affect any warranties on the car, i can understand if the vehicle is still under a manufacturers warranty, but when its out of warranty?

Could just be their policy. Were you expecting them to supply the chip?

Why not if i was willing to pay for it, why can't Toyota dealers do these things when your car is out of warranty anyway, to me they are losing out on potential revenue, they won't do it but they'll pass you on to someone who will, they have the knowledge, expertise & the equipment to do these jobs but refuse, why couldn't they supply a chip? as i said the car is out of warranty anyway, i pay for all the parts & labour so they win.

Having a rant on the forum is not helping in the slightest. The fact the car is outside warranty is a red herring. As regards the chip, if the dealer doesn't or won't supply the non-Toyota parts you want, that is it. Any company can refuse work if they either don't want it, it is against their policy or they don't supply the required parts - that is their prerogative. 

Rant?, Toyota dealers offer you non Toyota parts, they seem happy to do that, i realise where i am the dealership is a subcontracted 1, maybe i put it across wrong, maybe i should be having a 'rant' at the subcontracted dealership.

Bearing in mind that Toyota Owners Club isn't associated with either Toyota Corp or Toyota GB, there is no guarantee that Toyota GB reads these forums, and, even if Toyota GB do read these forums, they certainly won't reply to you via these forums, speaking to your dealer and asking why they won't do the work you require, seems one of your four options.

Your second option would be to go elsewhere, your third option would be to do it yourself, and your fourth option would be to not have the work done.

which engine is your Auris SR? It may be that there is no chip available (if you mean a direct replacement almost certainly in fact). You maybe can fit a piggyback box or recently it looks like it has become possible to reprogramme the existing chip (although I think that the jury is still out on the results of that).

Depending upon engine maybe cruise control isn't an option (e.g. no Avensis T25 1.8 petrol can have oem cruise control).

Some dealers will do such work e.g. Lindop supplies & will fit piggyback boxes.

AC Linwood by any chance?

Correct Heidfirst, Linwood, ok maybe the chip is too far but the cruise control going by the forum seems simple enough to do if you know what your doing, i would be scared to attempt it though thats why i asked if they would do it, going by the cruise control forum they say if 'cruise' is marked on your dash then it can be installed, mine has the cruise marked on the dash next to the rev counter, engine in my SR is the 1.6 vvti, they passed me on to a auto elec company who will install their version of cruise control for £500!!

48 minutes ago, BLUEJ said:

...they say if 'cruise' is marked on your dash then it can be installed...

Wrong! All dashes are the same, they don't make different clocks for the different trims. However, ECU is a different story. For example, the 2008 Auris 1.6 petrol and 2.0 diesel had all the wiring, the brake pedal switch, the clutch switch and ECU "knew" about CC, so all that was left, was to install the CC lever and it would work out of the box. 1.4 petrol and 1.4 d4d, on the other hand, had the CC indication on the dashboard, but didn't have the wiring and even if someone was crazy enough to do the wiring, the ECU would still make the job impossible, as it wasn't programmed.

So is mine compatible do you think, thanks, 09 (58) 1.6 petrol vvti, engine no. 3ZZU086997

Are you sure the engine is 3ZZ? I didn't find Auris from 2008 on with this engine... Only with 1ZR-FE (first generation Auris with 124 bhp) and 1ZR-FAE (its facelift with 132 bhp). I know for sure that CC can be installed on 1ZR-FE, as I have done it on my Auris, but not sure about 1ZR-FAE. Have you checked this thread...? I am pretty sure it has been discussed there.

P.S. Just found out this on another board:

1ZR-FAE - ECU Does not support CC 
2ZR-FAE - ECU supports CC
3ZR-FAE - ECU supports CC
1AD-FTV - ECU supports CC - no dashoard indication

You can PM me your VIN number and engine code (or at least how many bhp is it) for a thorough check

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links