Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Grinding noise from brakes at 13 months from new?!

Matt2503

I bought my new Yaris Hybrid in February 2014 and in March 2015 after I had left the car for about 3 weeks there was a grinding noise coming from the brakes. It didn't go away (I thought it may be just light rust) from driving the car so I took it to the dealer in Maidenhead. He told me that to replace the front discs and pads (which was the problem) would cost over £200 which I had to do as the brakes were very noisy. I assumed that this would have been covered by the Toyota 5 year warranty but he said no as it was normal wear and tear. He also said that it was my fault because I had left the handbrake on(?!).

How on earth can a car that's 13 months old and has only 12,000 miles on it need to have the front brake discs and pads replaced? The car is never near any sea air or left in a damp environment that may cause excessive rusting. And after the replacement the brakes still make a slight grinding noise which I'm told is normal wear and tear!

Does anyone else have any similar experiences like this?

Thanks in advance.

Brake discs have been a wear and tear item for a number of years, and only have limited coverage under the new car warranty, and this applies to all manufacturers. For example VAG only cover brake discs for six months.

Is it just surface rust causing the grinding noise? If so, either ignore it or go down a steep hill and give the brakes a good scrubbing!

It seems to be a common problem on lightly driven hybrids and electrics; The brakes never get pushed in hard enough so surface rust never gets cleaned (My D4D on the other hand has mirror-like discs due to the amount of use my brakes get! :lol:)

The handbrake thing is interesting; Is it true? If so, it may be your discs were fine but the mini drum brake the handbrake is attached to (Assuming the HSD has one of those) may have overheated and been damaged,
On cars with discs all round, there is often a mini drum-brake in the back wheels and it's quite fragile. It'll hold the car stationary well enough, but it really doesn't like being dragged with the brake engaged and will wear out quickly.

On 10/03/2016 at 9:09 PM, Matt2503 said:

He told me that to replace the front discs and pads (which was the problem) would cost over £200.............. He also said that it was my fault because I had left the handbrake on.

How on earth can leaving the handbrake on affect the front discs and pads? The handbrake operates on the rear wheels!!!

On 3/10/2016 at 9:09 PM, Matt2503 said:

I bought my new Yaris Hybrid in February 2014 and in March 2015 after I had left the car for about 3 weeks there was a grinding noise coming from the brakes. It didn't go away (I thought it may be just light rust) from driving the car so I took it to the dealer in Maidenhead. He told me that to replace the front discs and pads (which was the problem) would cost over £200 which I had to do as the brakes were very noisy. I assumed that this would have been covered by the Toyota 5 year warranty but he said no as it was normal wear and tear. He also said that it was my fault because I had left the handbrake on(?!).

How on earth can a car that's 13 months old and has only 12,000 miles on it need to have the front brake discs and pads replaced? The car is never near any sea air or left in a damp environment that may cause excessive rusting. And after the replacement the brakes still make a slight grinding noise which I'm told is normal wear and tear!

Does anyone else have any similar experiences like this?

Thanks in advance.

If I wash my car , wash under the wheel arches and leave it without driving it, rust forms on the disks . If I leave the handbrake on, it rusts on and only comes off with a bang.

If you leave a car in the UK with damp in the air, disks will rust.

It has happened to me every time I owned a car with disk brakes ...  which is since c 1973...

Just had the rear discs and pads changed under warranty at 3300 miles, they were rusted and scored. I think the car was fitted with discs made from poor quality materials.

IMG_0554.JPG

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links