Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 1.4D4d Idle Revs Engine Pinking Problem.

Hustler1968

Hi again...

I have checked the idle revs on my car and they are at about 770 when the car is warm.

However there is a pinking sound and slight judder in the car when the revs are at this speed.

If I press the accelerator slightly to 800 revs then the pinking and juddering stops...

Does the car have to be adjusted on a computer at a Toyota garage or is there any way of doing it manually..

Thanks and look forward to any help that I receive...

Update: Been to my local Toyota dealer and a mechanic there said that it cannot be adjusted to make the tickover slightly quicker.

Can anyone tell me if this is true or is he just talking a load of tosh??
Thanks

There is no adjustment possible idle speed is pre set / pre programmed into the engine ECU and not adjustable

So there is no way Toyota technicians can reprogram it to make the revs higher??

1 hour ago, Hustler1968 said:

So there is no way Toyota technicians can reprogram it to make the revs higher??

The short answer to that is No - as Devon Aygo has told you. As a matter of curiosity I'd ask that you try putting a load on the car at idle (switch on air con, turn on electrical heated screen etc) which should raise the rpm slightly then see if it idles OK at the higher speed.

How does the car run apart from the idle speed? Has it lost power eg on hills and is it using oil or excessive fuel?

Your car is about 5 years old and I wonder what kind of mileage it has done, has it been mainly short runs because, if so, it may be carboned up inside, Have you had anything done like cleaning out the exhaust gas recirculation valve (EGR) and how about the other routine servicing items like air and fuel filters?

Thanks for the reply TomdeGuerre...

Yea it does raise rpm slightly when turning on all heaters, air con etc. It does idle a lot better like that..

Car runs fine, It doesnt seem as nippy as before.. As for oil and fuel, the mpg is down by about 30 miles per full tank compared to before it was serviced and oil is using about 1/2 litre per 1000 miles.

Car is just over 4 years old and has done 33,000 miles, I've had it just over a year and do approx 30 miles per day on a work run and also extra miles in the day running about to other places..

I have recently had the Full+ service from Toyota main dealer to keep the remaining warranty with the car so all filters, fluids should have been replaced... It was a lot quieter before it went in for the service which I did mention to the staff at the dealership, they had it in for checks and said everything was fine.. Its going back in the next 2 weeks and I have since found out now that the back passenger side light is now leaking when it rains (Exactly the same side as my old one). They are also supposedly be going to investigate the buzzing noise that keeps coming from the engine compartment..

As for cleaning out the EGR, I have been looking for any diagrams on internet so see how to do it but cannot find any information on how to do this.

Thanks

There was a recent recall for some models with the 1.4D4D engine - have you tried using the recall checker to see whether the car is due any recall:

https://www.toyota.co.uk/caring-for-your-toyota/owners/recall-checker.json#/iframe/https%3A%2F%2Fforms.toyota.co.uk%2Frecall-checker

Yes Frosty... First thing I always check... No recall needed...

I was thinking that the EGR valve might be sticking open and allowing exhaust gases into the engine at idle (EGR is supposed to be closed during engine idle and at full bore). Excessive carbon build up on top of the pistons can glow incandescent and cause pre-ignition of the fuel, i suppose this is a possibility if you were talking about idling after a long hard drive.

I read a recently-revived post on here which said that sticky suction control valve(s) (SCV's) can cause poor idling or stalling because they can cause the fuel rail pressure to drop too far, see http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/135088-hard-starting-when-cold/

I would go down the road of using one of the products on the market which are specifically targeted at cleaning the EGR valve followed by fuel system cleaner. I don't recommend any particular make, it's a personal choice thing. 

Are there any guides etc to show how to manually clean the egr valve??

Ive googled it but cannot find anything myself...

Thanks

Update:- Cars gone back to Toyota main dealer this morning... As soon as I got there I thought I would check to see if that buzzing noise was under the bonnet thats been driving me nuts for the last month...

Opened it and the noise was there, the mechanic said that hes never heard that before but it was definitely coming from the EGR... Its now in their hands for the next couple of days.. So hopefully something will be sorted....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links