Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Smelling

paeddy1

Hi all

I already posted this in the other forum. Then I thought it makes more sense in the T-Sport forum ;-)

When I want to make a good start or park my car backward on a hill, I use my clutch at higher rpm. ( Am I a bad driver?)

The clutch begins to smell and you almost get sick. Has anyone the same problem. Is there a solution?

My car: Corolla TS

Thanks for any advice.

Patrick

At first i had this problem to the way i found round it was to balance the revs lower (1500-2000 up hill) and let the clutch out faster.

hope thats the right way round it....

The throttle is very sensitive and light compaired to other cars ive driven which can make things a little tricky but i am sure there is a good reason for it.

• 1 year later...

It seems the same "burn smell" happened to me 2-3 times, so that I realized that something is wrong in the car.

First time happened when I started forward on a wet uphill road. I thought it was from tyres' spinning.

It happened again gowing backwards but I did not paid much attention since there was also some smell from heated wax in my car at that time.

Yesterday, I realized that the problem occured going in a hurry backwards uphill to turn the car and change direction. I searched the forum and found this topic.

So, is it a clutch problem?

Have you found any solution?

I think this is a problem deteriorating gradually. I do not run too much the engine when I release the clutch.

How many miles are on the clock? If its low miles it could still be factory silocan oils burning off which is normal for a new car. But from what you say id guess its more your slipping the clutch. Dont touch the accelorater until the clutch is fully out and let the car start to creep along, if the car starts to stall then add some gas. :thumbsup:

Apparently, any noticeable clutch smell means an already dead clutch that needs repacement!

I leave in Greece. I went to a Toyota service station and my clutch needs replacement! I have 10,000km now, but I recall the first certain burning smell last November, after ~5000 Km. I bought the car in July 2003!

The problem might have started even earlier, since I often felt some burning smell which I connected with melted wax from the bonnet that had accumulated on the front grille.

The most embarassing is that the first explanation of my mechanic is that such early damage may happen only to a very bad driver: "It happens if you like to let your leg on the clutch pedal during driving"! Just to mention that I drive 20 years and I had never felt a burning clutch smell before. Am I getting too old ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links