Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlight bulb upgrade?

Kuneha

Everything, headlights, fog lights, rear lights, reverse light, rear fog light, indicators front rear and side, even the number plate light!

Only issue was the indicator LEDs I was sent first blinked too fast, but they changed them for others which link within the regulated period, although they are rather bright.

No issues at MOTs, I've done at least two since doing this. Main dealer.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, eein said:

Everything, headlights, fog lights, rear lights, reverse light, rear fog light, indicators front rear and side, even the number plate light!

Only issue was the indicator LEDs I was sent first blinked too fast, but they changed them for others which link within the regulated period, although they are rather bright.

Thank you. Interesting to read! 

Had hid on my previous Yaris with projector units, no issue with MOT. As long as it's projector light unit then it pass. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2023 at 10:26 PM, eein said:

Hi Lein, what LED lamp type is replacing your tail/stop rear lights? I don't have my IQ with me right now but I've seen in the manual that it's 5W/21W in a single lamp?

tailstop.png

• Like 1

I bought all LEDs apart from the headlights & fog lights from this website. I even did the license plate light!

https://www.ledperf.co.uk/search/Toyota+iQ#grid

They all worked, apart from the indicators which blinked too fast which they then happily replaced with alternatives (which are a higher load to make them blink slower, which has the side affect that they are incredibly bright... which is not a bad thing).

Headlights and Fog lights I just got cheap ones on eBay.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,
I got fed up with the poor low beam lighting...and I changed to Led bulbs (https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005005061053160.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.order_detail_item.2.372c4c7f1XMNAu&gatewayAdapt=glo2bra)

I recommend it!!! The change is great and it's plug and play.

My children, who already drive it, appreciate the upgrade 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyone tried the Michiba Diamond White headlight bulbs from ledperf.com? Just wondering alternatives there are before I just get the default Phillips. I'm not getting anything from AliX before that's suggested.

9 minutes ago, efb said:

Anyone tried the Michiba Diamond White headlight bulbs from ledperf.com? Just wondering alternatives there are before I just get the default Phillips. I'm not getting anything from AliX before that's suggested.

A fortnight ago I got these off Amazon. They're £25 today...

image.thumb.png.1f476411f69e7892d880ba6b9d9eec3b.png

They work very well. Don't know if it's of any help to you?

Amazon Link

14 minutes ago, glimp said:

A fortnight ago I got these off Amazon. They're £25 today...

image.thumb.png.1f476411f69e7892d880ba6b9d9eec3b.png

They work very well. Don't know if it's of any help to you?

Amazon

I suppose that these are technically an MOT failure puts me off, but unlikely to be a problem I'm sure. Also does no one else get nervous about putting in random brand lights from Amazon or AliX?

• Like 1

I think that by searching this forum, there are all kinds of opinions, brands and types of light placed on the IQ. It has a lot to do with personal taste and, above all, not having problems with periodic inspections... and it gives a more modern look. 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, efb said:

I suppose that these are technically an MOT failure puts me off, but unlikely to be a problem I'm sure. Also does no one else get nervous about putting in random brand lights from Amazon or AliX?

Technically yes - but if the MOT tester is a bit of a stickler for correctness, it's only a bulb-swap, isn't it? Then you can swap them out again after the test?

I do get nervous about random brands, yes - but as I said, these ones have been fine on my car, so far. You can also look at the reviews on Amazon.

4 hours ago, Malko83 said:

My IQ3image.thumb.jpeg.cc0253ecfd8a0ce00c2fd6c7d82e1137.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.81453f5b566d8d90e137ba411df09b0c.jpeg

Very cool! Could you share a few details - DIY, materials, cost? I guess you're using the rings for daylight?

Lots of good discussion points regarding upgraded lights and I was about to throw my tuppence worth in until I saw that the first thread was published in October 2016.

I know technology can advance at a rapid pace but 7 years of dialogue about bulbs leaves me with nothing more to add.  Nevertheless, if better products arrive on the market this forum is an excellent way to keep members updated on the latest developments. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have just upgraded from the Philips X-tremeVision Pro150 HIR2 to the Philips Ultinon Access LED car headlight bulb (HIR2) 6.000K and they seem like a good upgrade for a swap in unit from a big brand name.

The are massively whiter than the halogens, as you can see them compared to the halogen side lights, I would say that the beam pattern is very good, as you get a nice smooth beam with no hot spots, the don’t seem to add any long distance to the beam, but there is a nice solid block of light in the centre of the road on high beam.

I would say in the real world they are about 20% brighter than the Philips X-tremeVision, I think the X-tremeVision are the brightest conventional bulbs you can get in the HIR2 fitment so that’s not too bad, the main place you notice the brightness is on the curbside, so not a bad update for the price, I hope they will outlast two sets of halogens as they will pay for themselves.

I found them cheapest on Amazon for £40 for a pair on the below link if you are interested.

Philips Ultinon Access LED car headlight bulb (HIR2), ultra-compact direct-fit, 80%, 6.000K

20240301_100541.jpg

20240301_100743.jpg

20240301_113127.jpg

20240301_183325.jpg

20240301_183345.jpg

20240302_211057.jpg

20240302_211106.jpg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Monkeyboy2283 said:

I have just upgraded from the Philips X-tremeVision Pro150 HIR2 to the Philips Ultinon Access LED car headlight bulb (HIR2) 6.000K and they seem like a good upgrade for a swap in unit from a big brand name.

The are massively whiter than the halogens, as you can see them compared to the halogen side lights, I would say that the beam pattern is very good, as you get a nice smooth beam with no hot spots, the don’t seem to add any long distance to the beam, but there is a nice solid block of light in the centre of the road on high beam.

I would say in the real world they are about 20% brighter than the Philips X-tremeVision, I think the X-tremeVision are the brightest conventional bulbs you can get in the HIR2 fitment so that’s not too bad, the main place you notice the brightness is on the curbside, so not a bad update for the price, I hope they will outlast two sets of halogens as they will pay for themselves.

I found them cheapest on Amazon for £40 for a pair on the below link if you are interested.

Philips Ultinon Access LED car headlight bulb (HIR2), ultra-compact direct-fit, 80%, 6.000K

20240301_100541.jpg

20240301_100743.jpg

20240301_113127.jpg

20240301_183325.jpg

20240301_183345.jpg

20240302_211057.jpg

20240302_211106.jpg

Is that a fan on the bottom of the fitment in the second photo?

22 minutes ago, Touring_Dave said:

Is that a fan on the bottom of the fitment in the second photo?

Yes they have cooling fans, I believe all led headlights have some form of fan on them, the body is made all for aluminium I think 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Monkeyboy2283 said:

20240301_100541.jpg

20240301_100743.jpg

20240301_113127.jpg

20240301_183325.jpg

20240301_183345.jpg

20240302_211057.jpg

20240302_211106.jpg

You need some 6000k LED sidelights now, to match the headlights. They're very cheap to buy.

Then you'll need some LED front fogs 🙂 - then you can start on the rear lights!!!

And so it goes...

By the way, I often use my LED sidelights and fogs in combination, to act as a cheap alternative to installing DRLs. Works like a dream - haven't had a single car plough into me head-on.

...yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Are the side lights W5W, any recommendations of 6000k ones, I was looking at the Philips Pro6000 ones, but in the reviews there lots of reports about flicking, but I'm not sure if that's more of a car issue then a bulb issue. 

56 minutes ago, Monkeyboy2283 said:

Are the side lights W5W, any recommendations of 6000k ones, I was looking at the Philips Pro6000 ones, but in the reviews there lots of reports about flicking, but I'm not sure if that's more of a car issue then a bulb issue. 

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005004727870606.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2esp

I put these front & rear in September. Easy swap, effective and working fine so far.

Edited by Falomain
wrong URL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello, 
For the price/quality, I use Philips or Osram. I usually use AliExpress to buy them as it's the platform that gives me the best price.
I replaced the w5w bulbs in my toyota iq with Philips t10 led bulbs and I'm very satisfied. The last ones I replaced were the number plate lights.7122560831598763936.thumb.jpg.704c7cb38aac820262bc77b0fb6bcb0a.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Monkeyboy2283 said:

20240301_100541.jpg

20240301_100743.jpg

20240301_113127.jpg

20240301_183325.jpg

20240301_183345.jpg

20240302_211057.jpg

20240302_211106.jpg

Hi, 
I didn't know about these Philips bulbs, they weren't available at the time I replaced the hir2 bulbs. Now I'm in the process of buying them to put on my motorbike 😉

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links