Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

my breaks feel slightly grindy

martin68

Hi, i noticed that when breaking gently in order to regenerate energy that my breaks, feel slightly as if they'er grinding slightly. I have checked the break disks and pads but they look only 20-30% worn, so is it common to feel a slight grinding sensation on the break pedal when breaking gently?

is it all of the time or just for the first few time you use the brakes

as it maybe due to a thin layer of rust on the discs

probably 90% of your braking is regenerative and 10% mechanical braking

so a layer of rust can develop.,the only time regen doesnt work is under

hard braking and below 7mph.

I find the typical Toyota feeling of breaking (in my 2007 corolla as well as the 2015 Auris) a bit .. grindy. Sounds like rough structures grind over each other always.
I do feel it's different than with other brands; It's normal though.  

Must say i am a very calm driver and it could well be that i get some rust on the surface always, that never gets off.

Find a good long hill, drive as fast as you're comfortable with (winding road is no good - you need some speed) then do a series of very hard braking. This cleans the discs up if they've got a bit of rust on them.

I've found with the Yaris it is actually very hard to clean the discs as the regen braking is so effective, the car stops before the brakes can really do any work. They don't even get warm even after several attempts (where we're going, we don't need roads...). :blink:  I don't suggest actually touching the discs, but I couldn't feel any ambient heat with the back of my hand in the wheel spokes. On my previous car the brakes could get so hot you could smell them.

My nearest motorway junction helps as the exit is downhill with traffic lights, and breaking a bit later is enough, once in a while to keep them rust free

• Like 1

So during breaking and rolling down hill, do the batteries charge quicker if the charge needle if forced down to the bottom of the scale, meaning to break more while rolling down hill, or breaking later but harder at the end of a motorway for example? at what stage are the break pads used and the regen used?

17 minutes ago, martin68 said:

So during breaking and rolling down hill, do the batteries charge quicker if the charge needle if forced down to the bottom of the scale, meaning to break more while rolling down hill, or breaking later but harder at the end of a motorway for example? at what stage are the break pads used and the regen used?

Don't forget rolling up hill, you charge the Battery too.

Braking hard enough to get the needle at the bottom of the dial, will trigger the normal brakes and stop the regenerative braking. The regen braking works best with longer and gentler use, once the Battery is charged to max, then the normal brakes switches over.

If you aim for 1/2 to 1/4 from the bottom of the scale, then you should be recovering the maximum of the recoverable engery.

With the android app called hybrid assistant (using obd bluetooth or wifi dongle) it will show which braking system is being used.

I hope that makes sense lol

• Like 1

Thanks, that's very informative, I wasn't aware that a phone app was available,  I have since downloaded it and ordered a obd2 blutooth dongle .

51 minutes ago, martin68 said:

Thanks, that's very informative, I wasn't aware that a phone app was available,  I have since downloaded it and ordered a obd2 blutooth dongle .

I forgot to mention, there is also the hybrid reporter app. That will generate a report with graphs and charts, once you have closed the assistant and you can email them or send them to your computer.

I will honest, it will give you some information that I don't yet understand yet.

on a downward hill you could always select "B" as this will engage the regenerative braking

it will also help to maintain your speed as its a form of engine braking just select "D" when

you ready to drive normally again.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links