Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Mk2 HIR2 Headlamp - How It (Almost) Works

Gerg

I wondered how the Auris changes its headlamp beams between high and low.

I happened to find a damaged headlight from a 2017 Auris, and took some pictures of the lens/reflector unit from inside it.  

The first photo is the high beam position of the shutter (bulb removed), or at least the best you can simulate the solenoid firing when you've got one hand holding a camera.

The second photo shows the shutter itself in the low beam position.

The third photo shows the back of the reflector with an electromagnet/solenoid fitted underneath.  This pulls the guillotine shutter when powered.  The shutter is lightly held in a low-beam position by the semi-circular spring that eventually passes underneath the solenoid itself and loops back up to the shutter of the other side of the reflector (half of this is not visible in the pic.).

The low beam cut-off can be seen in the profile of the shutter.  It is interesting that there are plenty of unpolished surfaces around the shutter that will do little to reflect the light into a useful part of the reflector, where it might do some work.  The effect of the lens can be seen in the car when looking at pic 1 and 2 - everything is inverted as you would expect.

This is a Valeo brand headlamp, they all are.  Valeo own Cibie, makers of some of the most awesome car lamps in the 70s and 80s.  What went wrong?

HTH

P1090285.JPG

P1090286.JPG

P1090262.JPG

Yes - knew they use an actuator to divert the beam from dipped to main. Same type of arrangement on the IQ, Aygo and Yaris (although not all Yaris models use HIR2 bulbs).

Think going back to the 70's and 80's headlights were a lot simpler and less stylised - for example no projector headlights as far as I'm aware.

I knew it was an actuator, but not if it was a motor or solenoid, and also if it was remotely wear-prone (which I can see it isn't).  I also wondered if the shutter was mirrored to ingeniously throw the shuttered beam back into the lamp.

70s and 80s  headlamps were unquestionably less stylised, but for example, Ford have managed to use 'conventional' headlamps on their Focus and Fiesta and who says they look old-fashioned?  I was meaning that Cibie were arguably the best, and yet the owners of that brand and Toyota have put their name on this, for the sake of 'style'. 

The 2017 Fiesta light units are even more stylised than those of the Auris - the LED daytime running lights going around the edge of and incorporated into the headlight cluster.

• 11 months later...
On 1/2/2018 at 10:37 PM, Gerg said:

I wondered how the Auris changes its headlamp beams between high and low.

I happened to find a damaged headlight from a 2017 Auris, and took some pictures of the lens/reflector unit from inside it.  

The first photo is the high beam position of the shutter (bulb removed), or at least the best you can simulate the solenoid firing when you've got one hand holding a camera.

The second photo shows the shutter itself in the low beam position.

The third photo shows the back of the reflector with an electromagnet/solenoid fitted underneath.  This pulls the guillotine shutter when powered.  The shutter is lightly held in a low-beam position by the semi-circular spring that eventually passes underneath the solenoid itself and loops back up to the shutter of the other side of the reflector (half of this is not visible in the pic.).

The low beam cut-off can be seen in the profile of the shutter.  It is interesting that there are plenty of unpolished surfaces around the shutter that will do little to reflect the light into a useful part of the reflector, where it might do some work.  The effect of the lens can be seen in the car when looking at pic 1 and 2 - everything is inverted as you would expect.

This is a Valeo brand headlamp, they all are.  Valeo own Cibie, makers of some of the most awesome car lamps in the 70s and 80s.  What went wrong?

HTH

P1090285.JPG

P1090286.JPG

P1090262.JPG

So i wonder -would this work with COB LED HIR 2  -I have such crappy light on my Aygo 2015 ,so i want to find a solution for better light 

.. (i am used to the Good lights on my old Smart Fortwo Sunray 05 )

And another question -the stupid solution with DRL and no back light ....is it possible to activate the backlight together with DRL  in the data box / OBD ?

-just automatic  backlight with DRL ..

*repairbook for Aygo 2015 -anyone knows where to find that ?? (i want to know all about my car )

*and i want to find some LED COB to put into  the Third brakelight -need more light ... where to find them ??

5 hours ago, Allan T said:

So i wonder -would this work with COB LED HIR 2  -I have such crappy light on my Aygo 2015 ,so i want to find a solution for better light 

Within the UK (& I would assume the rest of Europe) this would be illegal unless the light unit has been approved for use with LED (fairly sure that it hasn't). Probably nobody would pull you up for it in normal use, however, some poor soul in the UK once had an insurance claim refused because he had changed his licence plate nos. to LED ...

And another question -the stupid solution with DRL and no back light ....is it possible to activate the backlight together with DRL  in the data box / OBD ?

-just automatic  backlight with DRL ..

Doubt it.

*repairbook for Aygo 2015 -anyone knows where to find that ?? (i want to know all about my car )

https://www.toyota-tech.eu or you can download the regular manual (if you don't have one) from https://www.toyota.co.uk/tme#/my-toyota/eManual

*and i want to find some LED COB to put into  the Third brakelight -need more light ... where to find them ??

Surprised that it isn't LED already but if the light fitting hasn't been approved for use with LED then so fitting would be illegal, see earlier answer.

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, Allan T said:

IMG_20190407_150527.thumb.jpg.4a5b14c1fa87c450cb0bd4b0aa38e0dd.jpgIMG_20190407_104002.thumb.jpg.84db7db4fb3f2adee896271f4b3dfd1c.jpgIMG_20190407_103927.thumb.jpg.5cfe9c12509e76ab387ab369682f0bc9.jpg

uppdated my third brakelight with T10 Cob LED from eBay ..

On 12/16/2018 at 9:31 AM, Allan T said:

the stupid solution with DRL and no back light

DRL's are intended to warn other road users of your approach (other drivers, pedestrians, etc) - which is why they are fitted to the front of the car and not the rear. So unless you reverse everywhere, there is no reason to have the DRL's linked to the rear lights (which would proably be illegal anyway).

7 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

DRL's are intended to warn other road users of your approach (other drivers, pedestrians, etc) - which is why they are fitted to the front of the car and not the rear. So unless you reverse everywhere, there is no reason to have the DRL's linked to the rear lights (which would proably be illegal anyway).

The third brake light hade T10 5 watt bulbs and i have had a couple of incidents where people allmost hit my rear end , because the are blipping  with there phones ..

but now -no one can say they didnt see me braking !!

and thats why i want some lights in the rear lights to together with DRL in front ...

1 minute ago, Allan T said:

The third brake light hade T10 5 watt bulbs and i have had a couple of incidents where people allmost hit my rear end , because the are blipping  with there phones ..

but now -no one can say they didnt see me braking !!

.... then again you are probably causing unnecessary glare for other drivers, especially if you keep your brake pedal depressed when stationary. Not considerate!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links