Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Suction Control Valve (SCV) Help required!

Steve-O

Hi all,

Had a cold starting problem for several months on my Corolla Verso TR 2.2 D-4-D engine, getting worse, lots of cranking, eventually start with lots of white/grey smoke, then runs fine absolutely rest of the day. Two local garages didn't seem to want to spend time finding fault, but second said problem is probably a failing SCV. They only get the part from Toyota (£310) and seeing online this part is easy to access on fuel pump (HU 294000–0314) and just two allen key bolts, I thought I could get part myself via OEM Denso.

Confirmed correct part code from Denso DCRS301370 and ordered from one of their distributors near me (£200). I took old SCV off carefully and compare to new SCV and the new SCV looks really different and has other component parts in vaccum packs. I was expecting like-for-like component and easy whack back in after oiling the new seals. Distributor doesn't want part back and v unhelpful and am checking with Denso to see if it is indeed correct part. Code suggests it is - they've re-confirmed that. Looking online and on this forum and it seems to be the case that Denso modified the SCV since the originals on car and it may well be right part but has different selection of seals, a metal washer and another separate bit. Of course no instructions/drawings with new part and no official Denso tech help online. My car seems to have a Compact SCV and the new one looks similar to a 'Conventional' one on Denso's service manual (doesn't show how new SCV goes in). The local garage (indp) said if the new part doesn't look exactly the same as the old one it's 100% not the right part. Not sure about that though.

Saw a thread from a Czech guy on this forum who seems to have fitted the new one suggesting it is correct. Any advice please on fitting or help as don't want to waste the £200. Photos of existing SCV and new one attached.

existing SCV.jpeg

new scv.JPG

new scv parts.JPG

new scv components.JPG

Hello Stephen - welcome to the Toyota Owners Club.

Moved to the Corolla club.

• Like 1

I have the exact same problem with an avensis d4d and have been supplied this new valve with a load of extra parts. Did you manage to sort yours or does anyone else know how this fits?

Hi Kevins,

Have not sorted it out yet. I'm hoping someone who has done it - there are a few people on earlier threads who have done it - will reply. I think one of the forum's moderators knows about it - Devon Aygo - I will message him. I called my local Toyota Dealer y'day and they said they would send me the Technical Service Bulletin for this which hopefully has some kind of visual aid/insturctions. But nothing come through yet. I'll share anything that comes through. The new SCV is not as straight forward as i would have hoped and really want to be 100% sure before I put it in!

I managed to fit mine last night.  It goes valve - o-ring- spacer - o-ring, - and then the small metal piece goes over the tip with the small o-ring on it. Used new  bolts. Not sure what the studs were for? Maybe for lining it up but I didnt use them.

The kit looks fine, as Kevins mentions above, ensure the area around the supply pump is clean and make sure no dust/dirt gets into pump or onto SCV 

Remove old SCV

From the pair of O rings the smaller goes onto the Pump, lube with clean diesel

Then install the 2 guide pins ( finger tight )

Lube O ring on new SCV with diesel

Install Cap onto new SCV

Lube and install single smallest O ring onto Cap

Lube and fit final largest SCV onto spacer block

Fit spacer onto guide pins ( spacer O ring facing out towards SCV )

Install SCV through spacer onto pump

Remove guide pins and install new bolts torque 10.8nm

Reconnect SCV supply harness ( note the harness routes differently due to the plug orientation on the new SCV make sure the harness does not contact the plastic engine cover when refitting. )

Contact your dealer, reference the bulletin and arrange to have your Engine ECU software updated to get the full benefits of the new SCV

Thanks for that, which is very helpful! Also got sent the TSB from Toyota which was nice and unexpected of them!

One more question please..apologies if this is a basic, but with the lubrication of the o-rings etc is any lubrication oil ok to do this or do you mean diesel from the fuel system? And new software calibration, I'm guessing my car is without DPF, so would be CCO, therefore version 30F37000?

• 2 weeks later...

I was gonna say their is an ECU Update for the new SCV. Also have you checked your glow plugs as you are having cold start issues?

• 3 months later...

Hi all

So .my 2.2 d4d 58 really. Is on last legs egr replaced but oil consumption now at 1 litre per 300  miles ish

Starting becoming worse with lots of white smoke but once started good for day

Toyota really weren't interested. They wanted 3.5 k plus vat  to investigate and then asked would I be interested in buying a new car

My question regarding scv is how/will a new scv improve starting and reduce oil use. 

Tia

3 1/2 years between posts, Tysonpj!:ohmy:

I suspect that a new SCV won't reduce oil use. If there are no obvious leaks your car may have the issue that Toyota had a foc remedial programme for but at ~10 years your car would no longer have been covered. Afaik this would require a full engine strip down to confirm which fits in with the investigation cost that you have been quoted. Obviously it isn't worth investing that much in the car.

I doubt that any other manufacturer's dealer would have had a much different attitude to a 10 year old car with a potentially expensive issue.

Thanks for reply.  Having done a little more investigation my first thoughts of oil smoke at start is probably wrong and it is prob unused diesel due to the long cranking start. Would a new Scv help if this was the case to help boost the compression

As to the rest of the comments yes I agree just trying all probable ideas before i change cars

cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links