Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Import Ice Wiring

RichB

Hi,

On my MY92 MR2 Import (G-Limited) I would like to install some Kenwood Ice I took out of the Calibra instead of the CD player and radio that is in there. My car has the 8 speaker system in.

I am told by my local A1 motorstore that it is more complicated than just getting the right loom and plugging it in - and that the majority of Speakers and the amp will need rewiring. (at a cost of £100!)

Can anyone confirm that this is true - or are they trying to shaft me? Pls let me know, I would like to get it installed asap.

If you have the Toyota ActiveSound System in your 2 then I'm afraid he's right, it's a nightmare although I wouldn't have thought £100 and re-wiring was required. When I went to have mine Kenwood fitted the guy said that if it had the ActiveSound I would be looking at an extra £35.

I trust the company that do my installs so would say a bit of both is happening, yes it is more money withActive Sound but yes they sound as if they are trying to shaft you a little....

I don't know about this active sound - thats just a sales term probably - but if its an eight speaker system then their will be a bit of re-wiring to do - and an amplifier required if it doesnt allready have one - if your installing a kenwood headunit then i would suspect that four of the Speakers will run off the headunit and the other four off the amp - either way there's a fair amount of work involved to get a good job - so £100 is a bargain for fitting - if they are going to set it up for you as well, you are really getting a good deal.

If you run the ActiveSound setup you'll aready have Subs behind your seat at the bottom and amps in the car, the cabling has to be done properly or ther chances are you'll get interference when using the system...

Hi,

The speaker locations are:

1) Next to wing mirrors

2) In Door Next to feet

3) Behind Head (next to B pillar)

4) Sub behind seat

on both sides of the car - so 8 Speakers in all.

rhaines>>> Where did you get your install done - was it local to Surrey/Hampshire? Anyone who could give me a recommendation is better than nothing!

OR - does anyone have a spare Jap Spec CD player - as mine doesn't work!

From what you have said you definately have Active Sound setup...

Surrey/Hants is ideal as the place I would recommend is in Fleet, an excellent ICE company, not the cheapest and the shop doesn't look like much but the work they do is amazing, they are experienced in building demo cars (Kenwood, Pioneer) so aren't amatuers by any description.

Top Banana Car Audio

17, Kings Rd

Fleet Hampshire

GU51 3AA

Tel: 01252 819500

SO I got fed up of wondering about it, and called up my local reputable car radio place (recommended by a mte) - they're fitting it on Thursday! Cost is slightly more than I hoped (probably about £100 all in) but they will do a proper job and have the right adpator for installing kenwoods into ActiveSound imported MR2s!

Biggest problem is where to put the 10 disk autochanger.

Options:

1) Under the passenger footwell mats with some kind of false floor to stop it getting kicked

2) In the glove box (and cut some of the trim out above it so it closes)

3) In the boot, run the cable across the near side top of the engine bay (drill holes through boot and main cabin trim areas) and put a bit of heat resistant tape or something around the cable as it goes through the engine bay. Any other suggestions?

Could place it in the front engine bay although not sure how much it would shake, or, behind passenger seat (unless T-Bar as wouldn't have anywhere to put the T's....

I'd go glove box, but you would then have to leave it in if you ever sold your 2, mind you I don't plan on selling mine, it'll either die an awful death or I'll buymore to go alongside it :) Two 2's just isn't enough :)

Yes, it's a T-bar so there would be nowhere to put the T's! Otherwise it's probably the perfect place!

I looked under the bonnet, but there really wasn't much room in there once the toolkit and my odds and sods bag was in there. Also could not see how to get a cable into the cabin from the bonnet.

You wouldn't have to worry about the cabling if the experts were doing it :)

GUess your only option is the glove box and leave it in there when you sell it, I'd be wary of putting it in the boot purely as you would have to run the cable through the engine bay, am sure I read something about interference somewhere before....

Will let you know how they got on next week!

Looking foreward to some decent tunes through the Kenwood, although to be honest the installed equipment is not too bad!

Have you had the roof off the last couple of days?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links