Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking to buy a Prius

batfan

Hi all, hello. I am looking to buy a Prius Gen 2 or Gen 3 with high spec. Are any for sale in East Sussex just now? Thanks.

Hello Steve - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Moved to the Prius club.

Why don't you consult Autotrader?

31 minutes ago, Notoyboy said:

Why don't you consult Autotrader?

I'm looking but not much on there Notoyboy.... I had hoped someone here might know of one for sale that perhaps has not been advertised.

The prices of most hybrids are strong, what's more interesting like for like Prius seems to hold value better than an Auris TS, which is sad (for personal obvious reasons) and surprising (since Prius is less practical).

According to Motortrader in November, the used prices of petrol cars have risen by 10%.

The Prius is in the next market sector up from the Auris, and with fewer Prius  sold (eg. in 2017 4,888 new Prius were sold, compared to 10,723 Auris Hybrids), demand on the used market will probably be stronger.

4 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

According to Motortrader in November, the used prices of petrol cars have risen by 10%.

The Prius is in the next market sector up from the Auris, and with fewer Prius  sold (eg. in 2017 4,888 new Prius were sold, compared to 10,723 Auris Hybrids), demand on the used market will probably be stronger.

Interesting, by the looks of it, I could sell mine for a profit at the moment, not that I'd want too, but I don't think I could say that about any car I've ever owned before!

During the first scrappage scheme (2006) the prices of three year old cars on the used market increased. Due to the demand for new cars from  scrappage and ensuing longer delivery times, people were hanging onto their cars at the three year old stage, causing an increase in demand for three year old cars in the used market, and increased prices.

Yes, well I lost a fortune on my diesel recently....prices of those have dropped badly and unfairly in my view, due to bad press etc. This is why I am now looking to buy a reliable Hybrid....something with low running costs and hopefully that will not suffer too badly in terms of depreciation. Anyone got a lowish mileage T- Spirit for sale?  :-)

Is the Gen 3 that much better than the Gen 2?

37 minutes ago, batfan said:

... Is the Gen 3 that much better than the Gen 2?

In my opinion, yes.  The Gen 2 was a very good car, and many are still very happy with them.

In my view, then Gen 3 post 2012 face lift was the best, not least because it gained daytime running lights, and electrically folding mirrors.

The Gen 3 has a better ride quality (especially on 15" wheels, although a T-Spirit will have 17") and more conformable seats, both being unduly firm in the Gen 2.  I've only come across one person who didn't get better mpg in the Gen 3, I certainly did.  The dash displays and steering button are generally more comprehensive on the Gen 3.

Only a decent test drive will confirm which you will prefer, however.  There are certainly some on the Yahoo Prius-UK group who don't like the Gen 3.

If you do look at a Gen 3, make sure the brake recall was done (generally required on pre-face lift versions) and also a ECU (engine management) update required on some early models - the inverter could get fried if this wasn't done.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Pete, so the facelift Gen 3 should not need the recall / updates? I will look out for one I ....dealers seem to be asking quite a lot for these at the moment though. Some really try it on!

It's also worth noting that the 17" wheels on the gen 3 t spirit make a fair bit of road noise, although some of that could be down to tyre choice. 

Have you test driven one yet? 

The only recall for my face-lift gen 3 was something to do with floor mats

Ha ha....best be careful with the floor mats! Potentially lethal ;-) No, I haven't driven one yet....very little around in my area for sale. I may have to travel further afield to try a decent Gen 3.

I'd recommend getting a good test drive in, just to make sure you like it before you decide, it's quite a different drive, especially coming from a modern diesel vehicle. 

• Thanks 1

The floor mat thing was after a number of Toyota and Lexus cars had the accelerator get stuck down due to loose floor mats.

That's why the official mats now have anchors for the driver's side and had big warning labels sewn into them.

• Thanks 1

By the way, I have seen a few in dealers "imported straight from Japan" . Any issues with these do you think?

37 minutes ago, batfan said:

By the way, I have seen a few in dealers "imported straight from Japan" . Any issues with these do you think?

Specs may not be the same as European market cars, and won't be covered by any corrosion warranty. Head units may be in Japanese, and don't think they can be converted. Service intervals may be different to UK cars.

• Thanks 1

I think most Toyotas already had anchored mats. I know my 2003 Yaris did!

The whole accelerator mat thing was so dumb...

But man, sounds like I jumped ship just in time! I wonder if I wait a bit if can find get another Mk1 D4D for pennies and keep it for driving outside London!

But the diesel is hard to let go of; The engines have the perfect power and torque curves for economical normal use, far better than petrol. A couple friends of mine have jumped ship recently too - One moved to a petrol version of his car and is getting shafted on tax and fuel, while the other went to a hybrid and is having a painful time adapting to the massive torque drop compared to his old 2.0d A3!

(Oh, if anyone knows anything about Auris HSD headunits, please take a gander at my other thread in the Auris forum BTW!)

The accelerator recall, depending on model, wasn't just to do with the floor mats. Some models had either a pedal assembly made by Denso or an assembly made by a then GM subsidiary. The assemblies made by the GM subsidiary had too much lateral play in the pedal, and were recalled to have a shim installed to take up the pedal play.

Our 1998 Corolla 1.3GS also had anchored mats.

Oh I didn't mean the recalls, I meant the court cases in the US! So stupid...

I assume it's because of that my local dealer keeps taking my mats out and putting them in the boot everytime I take it there to service and forget to tell them not to!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links