Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sway bar connection failures

Gazmack

In the last 4 years I have had the connection between the sway bar and the right front (lower) suspension arm break. Its is a puny piece of about 1/8 flat steel with a hole in it that connects to the sway bar.  In New Zealand you are not allowed to weld suspension parts otherwise it would be cheap and easy fix.  Instead I have had to find 3 (second hand of course) lower/right suspension arms at some considerable cost.  If I was doing lots of off road driving that would be 'okay', but I dont do any - and Im getting sick of it!  Anyone out there think of what is causing these joints to break - Thanks :-)

What model Toyota do you have, aside from it being a 1995 5 door?

12 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

What model Toyota do you have, aside from it being a 1995 5 door?

Ooops sorry - 95 Rav4 5 door

Moved to the Rav4 club for more responses.

On an 18 year old suspension arm ( 1995 = 22 years - 4 ) corrosion and metal fatigue are the most likely causes of the bracket failure and at that age not to be totally unexpected/surprising really, as for the secondhand replacement arms if they are originals they too would be 17 years old at the youngest as the MK1 was replaced by the MK2 in 2000.

The fact the same arm keeps failing though might point to a failing / faulty component connected to or acting on the RHF arm resulting in the bracket failing, if however there is no other cause then perhaps a new suspension arm should be fitted and if you use a Toyota part you could reasonably expect another 18 years of use.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links