Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

sound of gearbox

aygoes

Hello guys,

my new Aygo with automatic gearbox makes
always mechanical sound when
switching gears but that sound is louder
than the first day I was driving.
Is that normal ? What can it be ?

3 hours ago, fordulike said:

Can you describe the sound.

It sounds like manual gear shift,
but rough not smooth at all.
And not all gears, just some

Hello,

Maybe you should bring it to a Toyota dealership so that someone who is used to driving Aygos can tell you whether it is normal or not.

I do not have an automatic gearbox on mine. All I know is that even if sound insulation was improved on the mk2, it remains an economical city car. I hear many mechanical things, all the more that I do not have a radio. This can be frightening sometimes. But it is just the sound of the car. The bigger the car is, the less you hear these noises. I have driven a luxurious sedan recently and it is impressive: I could hardly tell when the car was shifting gear or that the engine was on.

Bear in mind the X-shift transmission is an updated Multi Mode Transmission, and is a manual gearbox with an automated clutch, rather than a conventional automatic. If you're unsure about the noise, Gert it checked by your Toyota dealer.

Yeah it sounds like clutch and manual gear shifting, I know that is MMT and not CVT, but to me
it sounds rougher than a manual gearbox. Or is this my drive behavior ? Should I accelerate
slower ?

I only tend to hear it between 1st and 2nd gear in my x-shift, after that road noise takes over. What year is your car?

If your still unsure, let Toyota have a listen

On 2/24/2018 at 5:49 PM, Cjohnston1982 said:

I only tend to hear it between 1st and 2nd gear in my x-shift, after that road noise takes over. What year is your car?

If your still unsure, let Toyota have a listen

Is that noise of yours rough ? 2017

Mine is also a 2017 X-shift. The sound isn’t rough at all, just a couple of ‘clicks’ like changing the gear in a manual. Under hard acceleration engine noise takes over and I don’t hear the gear change noise at all.

As you have a 2017 model I would let Toyota look at it under warranty.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2018 at 12:25 PM, Cjohnston1982 said:

Mine is also a 2017 X-shift. The sound isn’t rough at all, just a couple of ‘clicks’ like changing the gear in a manual. Under hard acceleration engine noise takes over and I don’t hear the gear change noise at all.

As you have a 2017 model I would let Toyota look at it under warranty.

Thanks for this explanation.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links