Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Side/Seat Airbag Wiring Help?

daheem24

Hi all, my gf just bought a used Aygo and we've found that the wiring under both driver's and passenger's seat have no connectors (I'm assuming for the side air bags), and the air bag warning light is flashing. 

It looks like 3 wires to 3 wires on the passenger's sideDSC_0065.thumb.jpg.43ec2e4f3b1f1bb508fe3ebf39b873a4.jpg 

And 2x3 wires to 6 wires on the driver's side. 

DSC_0066.thumb.jpg.b71c0e9813a86a1eb73cf9a6f455aec1.jpg

I'm thinking of just attaching connectors to these cable ends and hooking it all back up, but I have no idea what wire goes to what, or if I'm missing something here.

I'll upload better pics, and detail wire colours when I'm home after work.

Please could anybody help?

I'll be perfectly honest with you, get a qualified vehicle mechanic to sort that out. IIRC, airbags are triggered by an electrical current from the sensors that detect a collision. They also inflate incredibly quickly and will cause injury if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time if it goes off.

You may cause airbags to trigger if you mess about with that wiring!

• Like 1

Hi Meehad and welcome. :smile:

I have to say that I am totally with David ( @fordulike ) on this one, get professional help and don't mess with airbags!

I have to wonder why the wires have been cut (Have the seats been swapped?) and if you have just bought it, a trip back to the dealer or previous owner might not be a bad idea.  Sorry not to have been more positive, Meehad but you didn't buy a car for it to be faulty and a few questions need to be asked.

All the best. :wink:

Cheers Neil and David. That's understandable - I'll get in touch with a mechanic...so the previous owner said the connectors were torn off by kids kicking their feet about while sat in the back, but I'm not too sure.

As it was a private sale, not much else can be done now other than sorting it out I guess.

1 hour ago, daheem24 said:

so the previous owner said the connectors were torn off by kids kicking their feet about while sat in the back, but I'm not too sure.

Previous owner is talking utter bull****. I've just had a look at the wiring on mine and there's no way that's possible. Even Andre the giant wouldn't have feet long enough to kick the connectors.

• Haha 1

Ar man, been mugged right off. Tbh the car is otherwise mechanically sound, but that's just a shame. I'm assuming that's an MOT failure (there's mixed things said online)?

Hi again, Meehad,

Yet again, I have to agree with David, there is no way this could have been done by kids feet, but......Don't get too down, Buddy, as you say, the rest of the car is sound and we all know that there is usually a reason that Folk get rid of their cars.  Unfortunately the new owner tends to find that reason out about a fortnight after buying it, don't they? :sad:

As far as I know (I could be wrong though!) If a car has airbags fitted and they don't work, then it's an MOT failure, sorry about that but if you get this job properly sorted, you will have a great little car.  The Aygo is a nippy, fun little motor that is cheap to run and has a reliablity record that is second to none, so even if you have bought one that has a couple of faults, then it's well worth fixing them and then enjoying the Aygo for what it actually is.

Anyway, tell us how you get on and if you have any more questions or worries, the odd faults that happen on our Aygos have been had (or seen) by others, so a quick search, or a question asked on here will probably come up trumps.

All the best! :smile:

17 minutes ago, Agent Orange said:

Hi again, Meehad,

Yet again, I have to agree with David, there is no way this could have been done by kids feet, but......Don't get too down, Buddy, as you say, the rest of the car is sound and we all know that there is usually a reason that Folk get rid of their cars.  Unfortunately the new owner tends to find that reason out about a fortnight after buying it, don't they? :sad:

As far as I know (I could be wrong though!) If a car has airbags fitted and they don't work, then it's an MOT failure, sorry about that but if you get this job properly sorted, you will have a great little car.  The Aygo is a nippy, fun little motor that is cheap to run and has a reliablity record that is second to none, so even if you have bought one that has a couple of faults, then it's well worth fixing them and then enjoying the Aygo for what it actually is.

Anyway, tell us how you get on and if you have any more questions or worries, the odd faults that happen on our Aygos have been had (or seen) by others, so a quick search, or a question asked on here will probably come up trumps.

All the best! :smile:

Cheers for that Neil - yep I'm staying optimistic, and I'll be lurking on this forum. You seem to all just be sound people Not what I'm used to on car owner forums!

here is a pdf airbag wiring diagram

Airbags.pdf

to repair the cables dont use crimp connectors make sure the wires are soldered and heat shink used on each cable for insulation

• Like 1

Put some decent seats in it, fit some resistors to turn off the airbag light and away you go!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links