Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2004 RAV4 Sudden ESP Trigger With No Reason

Otherside

Hi all,

I own a 2004 RAV4 with about 180.000km.

Recently on three separate occasions (different days different roads) the ESP (VSC/ABS) suddenly triggered (dash light flashing) and "tried to drive me off the road". I know it sounds weird but I can assure you i'm not some moron who can't drive...

There was nothing, nothing on the road like oil/water, no surface abnormalities, so sudden movement on the wheel, no acceleration/deceleration. Two occasions were at about 120km/h and one at around 60km/h. 

The effect was very odd, the car felt like it was trying to brake one wheel or something like it. I had to fight it with the steering wheel and was very odd... like driving on snow and did not have full control. This lasted a few seconds, probably around 5-10 by can't know for sure.

The car spent 2 weeks at the local official Toyota service garage and could not find what caused it, also they were not able to recreate it. Suggestion was that "maybe" it is the ESP/ABS brain electronics which is something like 1500 euros to replace, but that was without any indication that this is the problem. There are a bunch of sensors on this system... could really be anything.

Has anyone here had a similar experience? Anyone with any knowledge on this?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links