Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Sound System

vmail

As soon as I find my recipt I am going to get my Alpine Type R replaced for the second time and sell it on eBay with the box and amp.

so I am after a louder sub, probably 1500W RMS, so will a 1500W RMS amp be ok? or can I give it a little more juice (but no more than the peek power), I know that I will need to new power cables (what gauge am I looking for?) I wont need to replace my 1.5F power cap.

my head unit also need changing, I might get an Alpine probably one with both sat nav a MP3, are the GPS recivers for these headunit with sat nav hidden? or do they have to be in full veiw?

my old kenny MP3 player was the first ever MP3 player, it is quite slow are loading MP3 tracks and skipping throught track, are the newer ones better?

rob do you still have that excel thing?

does anyone know the approx size of a double subbox? and will it fit in the yaris?

I should still have space for the shipping if I slide the seats forwards

if HSBC are reading this, then Im sorry, I need to spend my money

if you want louder :rolleyes: then id be looking at 15inch subs

use 4awg power cables

alpine are the don when it comes to headunits (bar a fair few others) and they do one that has sat nav built in. roughly £1100 i think?? cant remember as theyve released the new range.

newer ones are quicker with mp3

got the excel thing but it aint finished yet (still) forgot about it!

you can fit a double sub box yes but thats about all youll get in

Your better off getting a larger power amp than what the subs can take, this will mean that your amp wont be running at full power all the time to power subs, making it less prone to blowin. Just make sure its all set up right or with the bigger amp you could detonate the subs, which can be funny :blink: ( if they arn't yours!)

The size of a double box will mostly depend on the type/make of your Speakers due to some needing more volume of air plus whether the box needs to be ported or sealed. Hope this helps

:thumbsup:

its just that the RMS on my tyre R is 300W, and the amp running at 14.4V @ 8Ohm is 100W RMS / 700W Peek, and I have blown the sub twice

I have never blown an amp before, Ive only melted one, a quick soldering job and it was fixed

Let me guess, u like it loud then?

Only thing i can think of is a bad set up, sounds like the amp has been allowed to peak louder than the subs can handle!

Did you allow the sub time to bed in before cranking up the volume, mine needed about 8hrs runnin time, about half volume, before able to turn up full!

its been warming in for 2 months before I turned the amp up, the cables were for 720W

the peek power of the amp is 700W and the peek on the sub is 1000W

but the RMS on the sub is 300W and the 100W RMS@14.4V 8ohm on the amp

so that sould have been fine, if not they tell me what I did wrong

• 4 weeks later...

The problem could be that as soon as you start maxxing your amp out at 700W (which is pretty friggin loud!), you will start sending DC (direct current - as apposed to alternating current which is what amps and Speakers use) down to your sub. As soon as that DC hits your coil on your sub it's going to slam it and quite probably cook it. It's the same with any amp and speaker set up, whether it be in a car or in your lounge.

Your best bet would be to do as advised before, buy an amp with more power than your Speakers can take. Alot of people automatically assume that if you have a bigger amp than you Speakers can handle that you will blow them, but more often than not this is a safer set up.

So, if you subs are (or rather were!) rated at 1000W then maybe get a 1200W amp, and look after it! If your susb sound like their struggling, then they probably are and you NEED TO TURN IT DOWN!!!! Shocking thought I know!

James

Sorry, just done a double take on those power levels!!!! 1000W sub? Am I right in thinking you were running this in a Yaris? Turn that up loud enough and you won't need no fuel to power that baby! OWCH!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links