Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spray painting

Bob Mitchell

Hi, I am new on here, I have  a rav4 2006,

I am spray painting front bumper due to scratches, using genuine toyota paint, "grayish blue" code "8R3 ", although the colour is a metallic RAF Blue. It is coming out as mid grey, even after 12 coats. HELP

There can be very many "tints" to one colour code and can be beyond the DIYer to get the right colour. Why not have a professional paint it? Paint is expensive, you can't be painting it over and over again 

You need the paint colour matched there are usually 2-7 shades of just one colour that's not allowing for any damage that's been repaired in the past

8r3 is also listed as Pacific Blue and used from 2003-2015 so there will be many variations,

if it's a metallic/mica there are even more variations primer colour and clear can also change the base coat

Also be aware that water based paint can also have its own variations

Thankyou, but the touch up/ brush on paint is exact match

But paint can "look" a different shade for very many reasons. Are you spraying from a can or a spray gun? What primer are you using? So many factors at play here 

touch up pens are never a direct match, it all depends who mixed the paint on the day - also paint colours change due to UV and other environmental factors

A 30 year old rosso red car can turn into a dusty pink mess

Hi yes I do understand what you helpful guys are saying, and yes a 14 year old car is a difficult match, I am using dark grey plastic primer, rubbed down between coats.

I have sprayed cars using cans for over 40 years, never known a colour so far out. Steven eagles replaced can free of charge as they did not know the answer

Either, hebce I came to you.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links