Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Not starting after EGR valve clean

sitan666

My wife has an Avensis T180 with 140,000 miles on the clock (my ex company car).  Recently it had become hesitant accelerating until 2000rpm was reached.  Having read of similar symptoms on the forum and the comprehensive advice about cleaning the EGR valve I undertook the task yesterday.  The valve wasn't too bad but the 3 ports were badly choked - the outers were blocked and the centre had about 60% free area.  Having cleaned everything up and reassembled the EGR valve, I started the engine.  It fired up and ran very lumpily for a couple of seconds and then died.  I had several attempts at starting it but it wasn't interested.  I disconnected the Battery for 40 minutes this morning and it still won't start.  Any suggestions on a course of action?

Did you plug i the wiring back in?

It cuold be your battary, if you started it many times and just stopped it again.

I have cleaned the egr valve lot of times. It started every single time.

On 9/21/2020 at 1:08 PM, sitan666 said:

My wife has an Avensis T180 with 140,000 miles on the clock (my ex company car).  Recently it had become hesitant accelerating until 2000rpm was reached.  Having read of similar symptoms on the forum and the comprehensive advice about cleaning the EGR valve I undertook the task yesterday.  The valve wasn't too bad but the 3 ports were badly choked - the outers were blocked and the centre had about 60% free area.  Having cleaned everything up and reassembled the EGR valve, I started the engine.  It fired up and ran very lumpily for a couple of seconds and then died.  I had several attempts at starting it but it wasn't interested.  I disconnected the battery for 40 minutes this morning and it still won't start.  Any suggestions on a course of action?

On 9/21/2020 at 1:08 PM, sitan666 said:

My wife has an Avensis T180 with 140,000 miles on the clock (my ex company car).  Recently it had become hesitant accelerating until 2000rpm was reached.  Having read of similar symptoms on the forum and the comprehensive advice about cleaning the EGR valve I undertook the task yesterday.  The valve wasn't too bad but the 3 ports were badly choked - the outers were blocked and the centre had about 60% free area.  Having cleaned everything up and reassembled the EGR valve, I started the engine.  It fired up and ran very lumpily for a couple of seconds and then died.  I had several attempts at starting it but it wasn't interested.  I disconnected the battery for 40 minutes this morning and it still won't start.  Any suggestions on a course of action?

Hi

Just done mine. Make sure everything is connected properly and there is no kinks in the fuel lines (i take it you cleaned the inlet manifold  aswell) and that there are no codes on the engine. Mine started fine and ran a little lumpy for 10 secs then has run fine to now!

Good luck

I have seen this issue before.  When you turn the key in the ignition do you hear the starter crank but the engine dont turn.  If that is the case the you would have to push it on down hill road and start it in second gear. If you dont have a down hill road where you live you can tow it with a another car or jack the front end of the car and wind a rope or long belt around the circumfrence of the tyre and pull on it to rotate the wheel fast enough and have a person sat inside the car while doing this to start the car in second gear by lifting the clutch up.

Its most likely not possible to Jump start with jump leads connected to another car unless its the leads of a recovery vehicle.  

Good luck.  

• 2 weeks later...

Update - After having my attention diverted by other things for a couple of weeks I tried starting the car on Wednesday.  After several long cranks it spluttered into life for about 5 seconds emitting a cloud of black smoke from the exhaust.  I charged the Battery overnight and yesterday it started at the second attempt.  It has been run up to operating temperature and now starts as it did pre-clean.  Thank you for feedback and the earlier posts showing how easy the job is.

has anyone changed front coil springs on 2.2 deisel estate?i neeed help.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links