Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris hybrid - did I make the right decision?

Edbe

Are Auris and Corolla Seats the Same?

I was very interested to read the comments about seats in the Auris. In 2016 I considered buying a hybrid estate. I test drove an Auris for 2 days. Unfortunately I got back pain on Day 2 so decided against buying. I bought my second Skoda Octavia instead which is perfectly comfortable. Now I'm considering changing for a Corolla hybrid estate. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I wouldn't have the same experience with the seats. Has anybody experience of that comparison? It would be a 2023 Corolla Sol model.

Edited by JRMary
I thought question might be lost/ unnoticed

Having had the Yaris gen3 without back problem, the Yaris gen4 gave me back pain. So bought one of these lumbar back cushion which helps. 

Screenshot_2024-01-17-11-50-39-059_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.thumb.jpg.fe0f08bc64c4ba3ddb532cb95b13b328.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Having had the Yaris gen3 without back problem, the Yaris gen4 gave me back pain. So bought one of these lumbar back cushion which helps. 

Screenshot_2024-01-17-11-50-39-059_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.thumb.jpg.fe0f08bc64c4ba3ddb532cb95b13b328.jpg

The business edition models and above have electronic lumbar control. You can always swap out seats.

• 3 weeks later...

My Auris also have air pump lumbar support and heated seats.  So, those are a nice feature for mid class trim. The Navigation program is a bit slow but works fine. Upgrade map from eBay or other online seller cost about £30. The improvements is very minor since 2019 map and firmware. 

I never have glitch or issues, the sound quality is decent and blue tooth connection is stable.

@JRMary you should get Corolla TS with lumbar support and projector LED instead. Corolla have the best safety sense 2 and Adaptive radar cruise control, better than any Golf or Octavia.  The powertrain is even more refine and reliable. The 3rd gen or Auris have 1st gen Safety sense without pedestrian detection and need to do Intake manifold and EGR cleaning regularly (100k miles). The 4th gen or Corolla needs nothing because the EGR lines is after the catalytic converter, much cleaner EGR gas. 

• 1 month later...

The topic is old but it may be of help to people that are thinking to buy an Auris. My experience: At speeds around 130km/h it consumes around 6,3L, in the city it can come down to 5. I've driven it slightly downhill for 50 kilometers with 3,5lit/100 km. BUT ! Since it steals on the odometer at least 10%, that would mean that also consumption is incorrectly calculated. I still have to do a test with a long drive and filling it empty->full. EV mode is the only Battery mode, but it will turn off as soon as you get over 50km/h given that you are outside of green (eco). Eco mode is good for normal driving. Normal mode is more responsive and Power mode is jumpy. Really jumpy 🙂 As far as it goes for B or D, I use B in many occasions, mainly in the city and when I need to slow down like exiting the highway. When driving in the mountains, it's great and reduces use of brakes while at the same time reducing also consumption. In any case, good car.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 9:51 AM, Edbe said:
  • Will fuel consumption be horrible on long motorway trips? My guess is the hybrid could probably be beaten by a diesel for that use case, but we don’t want another diesel anyway. As long as it is on par with the less thirsty petrol engines out there for such trips I guess I would be satisfied. 
  • Does the engine and gearbox operate at a satisfying level at motorway speeds (110kmh/70mph)? Would it feel strained or pressed? Or would it run comfortably? I haven’t been able to legally test drive the car at those speeds since the dealership isn’t in an area with such roads. 
  • Some say the engine and gearbox feel “sluggish”. When testing it I noticed that it felt different, less aggressive, compared to my diesel, but I think it felt responsive enough. I would say that my driving style is quite calm and well planned, so I guess that would be a good match?

1. Fuel consumption won't be as good as diesel on motorway but not horrid unless you are really heavy footed.

2. Gearbox is eCVT and not very satisfying if you are a keen driver, that said it certainly never feels strained and the car will happily sit at motorway speed limit and beyond with decent enough overtaking pace.

3. Sounds like the car will suit your driving style and temperament 

@Dubrovnik4 B mode is for engine braking, much less energy captured than D mode. Leave it at D and you will get much higher MPG. Braking lightly charge Battery much better than hard braking or even worse B mode. 

The mileage is accurate, the speedometer can be 10% off/lower. don't get confused odometer with speedometer 10% too fast.

My 2016 auris TS for 70k Km, averaged 4.7 L/100 km at average speed 70 kmh suburban driving.  In Autobahn at 120kmh, I averaged 5.2L/100 km. I can get 3.5L/100km gliding behind the bus/truck at 90 kmh. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links