Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla E11 1.3 4e-fe alternator removal

tokyosam

To share my experiences of removing the alternator on this car and to offer some advice. This is the model with the alternator mounted behind the engine. The Haynes manual is not much help for this model. Before starting the job I would suggest checking to see if the alternator lower mounting bolt is seized - this is the bit that can make this job a bit of a pita. Just undo the top alternator mounting bolt and lower nut  and see if the alternator can be moved to tension the belt. If it can't then chances are that the lower bolt is seized. The reason for checking this before starting is because you are very likely going to damage the nut and bolt banging it out - so best to get a new nut and bolt from Toyota before starting - it is less than £10.

To do the job - Obviously disconnect the Battery negative lead; then remove the washer tank for access - one 10mm head bolt, remove the pipes and connection to the pump and lift the tank. away. Slacken the two 14mm mounting bolts on the power steering pump, then undo the adjuster lock nut then wind the adjuster anticlockwise to take the tension off the belt - then remove the PS belt. It's a 5pk1050 belt on there. Remove the two electrical connections from the alternator. Undo the lower mounting nut on the alternator and the top mount bolt. In theory you should be able to move the alternator to take the tension off the belt (this one is 4pk820) - if so great - remove the belt remove the lower bolt, top bolt and lift the alternator away.

If however the lower bolt is seized solid (as mine was) then it gets a bit more tricky. First thing to do is to cut the belt off - to get better access to the mounting bolt.  I tried hitting the end of the bolt (with the nut on the end of course) in situ but access is a bit limited and no space to get a drift in there. I tried penetrating fluid and a big pry bar but that did not work. I tried a socket and breaker bar underneath the car on the bolt end of the bolt - it would not move; it was stuck. The alternator is mounted to the rear of the engine block on a plate that is fixed with two 12mm head size bolts. These are accessible (ish) from underneath the car. One is easy to get at - the other is between the alternator and the engine so is a bit fiddly but it can be done. Leave the top alternator mounting bolt in place to take the weight of the alternator and then working underneath the car remove the two 12mm bolts - one needs a slim open ended spanner and care and patience. Remove the accessible bolt first, then move the alternator back as the second bolt is undone. Once both are out it is then a case of going back to the top, remove the one remaining bolt and carefully lift the alternator complete with mounting bracket away from the car. It is a bit tight getting past the AC pipes and other bits but it is doable.

Once the alternator is on the bench I got the bolt out by using more penetrating fluid, an impact driver on the bolt and then hammered the bolt out with a punch. It was not easy even on the bench. 

Hope this is helpful to someone - I could not find a huge amount of info about this job on the net.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links