Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Appears immobilised

john roser

Hi All

I have a 2000 Avensis on which after the Battery went flat, cranks fires but won’t run, as though it’s immobilised, a mechanic has checked the fuel pump, Battery etc and all okay, his snap on diagnostic machine won’t pick up any fault, any ideas?

Put the Battery on the wrong way or jumped the car backwards

If it was immobilized, the fuel pump would not work

First port of call is to check all fuses both interior and under bonnet

https://fusesdiagram.com/toyota/fuses-and-relay-toyota-avensis-1997-2003.html

The high ampage fusible link F20 can checked in the fuse box, but you need to remove the fuse box to replace it,

• Like 1

Try checking the EFI fuse located in the engine compartment fuse box. I remember a few years back, my friend Waqar had a similar problem with his Mk1 Avensis facelift. The clue was when he turned the key to ignition, Waqar noticed that the ELM didn't illuminate. After a short phone conversation, I told him to check the EFI fuse, and he found the fuse had blown. Replaced the fuse and the car was fixed. 
There are other possibilities, like the crank sensor, but check the fuse first.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Konrad

where is the EFI fuse nits not listed anywhere on the fuse box diagrams I can find.

F15 in the main fuse box, it may be marked Engine management or EM also check F4 7.5A

Checked fuses, Battery okay, fuel pump working okay, but still won’t run.

Any ideas? I’m getting desperate.

A mechanic has had his diagnostic machine plugged in but the car isn’t talking to it.

Does the remote locking work ? Do you have spark ?? if you feel the R5 with someone turning on the key can you hear/feel it click

EFI fuse and relay marked in yellow - with a meter see if you have power to both sides of the efi fuse

t22 fusebox 1.jpg

Thanks for your help Flash22

Spark, Yes, Central locking, Yes. R5 tested and working, EFI fuse has power to one side(assume without fuse other side won’t be live)???

7 minutes ago, john roser said:

Thanks for your help Flash22

Spark, Yes, Central locking, Yes. R5 tested and working, EFI fuse has power to one side(assume without fuse other side won’t be live)???

Yes that is correct, take the pipe off the intake, with the ignition on get someone to press the throttle, does the throttle body plate move ?

Have you tried cranking the car and spraying some starting fluid in the intake ?

Bob

Yes throttle working correctly, and fires briefly on easy start but won’t run, the mechanic who looked at first had tried this, and said it had appeared to have immobilised itself, but I think you have said the petrol pump wouldn’t be working if this was the case? It just seems to not be getting enough fuel to run.

So it fires with the easystart but not without it?

If yes, would suggest it is a fuel or immob issue... Do you have another key you can try? There should be a red SECURITY light somewhere that blinks when the immobilizer is active - What's that doing when you try to start it?

When you said the fuel pump tested okay, do you mean in the sense that it works when voltage is applied to it, or that it is actually supplying fuel to the injectors when the car is started?

It fires momentarily with or without easy start, but it seems that not enough fuel to keep running.

The fuel pump in the tank energises when the engine is cranking, I honestly don’t know if petrol is at the injectors, the mechanic that originally looked at it for me said “the pump is working, it seems to have immobilised itself”

Earlier post say that if the petrol pump is working it can’t be immobilised.

Is there an easy way for a novice to check if fuel is reaching injectors?

The usual method is to pull out an injector, and stick it in a plastic bottle (So the fuel doesn't go everywhere) and see if it sprays when the engine is cranked. TBH I'd get someone a bit more experienced to do that as you often have to remove a bunch of things to get to them.

Could also remove the fuel line and put it in a bottle to see if fuel squirts out when it's started, but don't know how easy it is to get at that in the Avensis.

It still could be the immobiliser as IIRC some cars will start and run for like, 5 seconds then cut out if the immobiliser isn't deactivated, but I'm not familiar enough with the Avensis to know. I know the Yaris won't crank at all if the immobilizer isn't deactivated, but that's by the by.

Oh hey, found this, matches your symptoms - Worth a shot, as unplugging the MAF is very easy!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links