Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

VVTI Actuator Issue?

Mattallum12

I have a 2000 5d 1.3 VVTI Toyota Yaris with an intermittent issue that I need some help fault finding.

The issue itself arises after long drives of around 1 hour at a relatively constant 80mph when you're coming off at a slip road, off the throttle and slowing down. The engine will then start juddering/bucking/hesitating during this slowing down period. Coming to a full stop or change down a few gears seems to cycle the problem and the engine returns to good running soon after. Essentially a period of 20 seconds rough running. Sometimes but not always, a check engine warning light will appear during the troubled period but codes are not logged in historic data as the issue is often resolved and codes cleared. 

Here are a few things I've noted thus far on the issue:

Two runs of equal distance resulted in different results.

1 hour @  80 mph = Engine juddering 
1 hour @ 60mph = No Engine juddering

I say this as there might be a threshold for the VVTI actuator to get engaged and might be getting stuck.

Other points:

-140k miles on the clock 

-Seems to have started within the last 3 months after I've started doing longer 70+ mile trips.  

-Had regular oil changes of 5w-30 for the last 40k (Since I've owned it) every 4k miles

-Has good fuel efficiency, does 450-500 miles on a tank.

Love to get any thoughts people might have on what it could be! Next thing on my list is to get a code reader myself and just get a read on the live data when it next throws a check engine light. 

All the best 

Matthew 

If the cam phaser (VVTi) gets stuck the timing is too far advanced it will run like carp at lower rpm's and engine loads

Its an early yaris so it will have a filter in the vvti oil passage, the solenoid may be starting to fail with age too

Filter - 15678-21010

vvti solenoid - 15330-21011

the filter is located just under the valve/solenoid (Hex key Plug)

1546558656_2nzfevvti.thumb.jpg.018d38740acaebf44dc727f2f3c609ef.jpg

It does suffer from poor idle speed too which I missed off, even on the shorter trips. From my limited understanding, the solenoid is easy enough to remove with only the power connector + bolt? 

See the pic above yellow arrow is the filter location just above is the solenoid 1 bolt one connector, to get at the filter you may need to slacken off the alternator or remove the bracket

the 1.3 and 1.5 are the same (2nzfe/1nzfe)

Managed to pull the part 

Marking

The filter itself remains sealed even with the alternator slacked off. Seized shut. Put it all back together for the time being, got a part number at least now. 

You've been brilliant, thanks for the help! Hope it solves the issue! 

Just a further question, Is there any difference from the 21010 and the linked one? Seems longer? And has more segments than my current fitted solenoid, Is this a design change for the new one?

PXL_20211023_142242882.MP.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links