Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tow hook

T133712

Does anyone know the tow hook size for a 2016 Yaris Icon 1.3? Ive bought 2 aftermarket ones and neither of them fit. 

This is one of the tow hooks that I tried: https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGATSAUTO-Universal-Trailer-Aluminum-Towing/dp/B08FBWHYTB/ref=sr_1_125?dchild=1&keywords=24mm+tow+hook&qid=1635528849&s=automotive&sr=1-125

Red eye is what I'm looking for, if anyone can help me out with links or part numbers would be much appreciated.

The question is, Why ?? They are rice and serve no practical purpose

iirc the oem is M24x2.0mm thread

5 minutes ago, flash22 said:

The question is, Why ?? They are rice and serve no practical purpose

iirc the oem is M24x2.0mm thread

Its my first car and Ive kinda riced it out, I just wanted that tow hook

I'd never buy a threaded item like that which didn't give the thread size in the description.

You also need to know the length of shank from the threaded part to clear the car mouldings. The best way to check that is with the OEM tow-eye and a ruler.

You can never really trust Amazon or eBay sellers who don't give these sort of dimensions but say "Compatible with ... " as though they have all these cars in their backstreet workshop to test them. Even things as simple as bags are often just listed as L, M or S with no actual sizes. (I've spent  a lot of time trawling such listings until I find one that actually gives dimensions.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeSh said:

I'd never buy a threaded item like that which didn't give the thread size in the description.

You also need to know the length of shank from the threaded part to clear the car mouldings. The best way to check that is with the OEM tow-eye and a ruler.

You can never really trust Amazon or ebay sellers who don't give these sort of dimensions but say "Compatible with ... " as though they have all these cars in their backstreet workshop to test them. Even things as simple as bags are often just listed as L, M or S with no actual sizes. (I've spent  a lot of time trawling such listings until I find one that actually gives dimensions.)

I've found one that says it's a 24MM thread, so I'm guessing M24 means 24MM?

Yes, M24 is 24mm thread.

Keith.

Bob's thread size is correct for the towing hook suplied with the car, M24 x 2. There is a course (incorrect spelling because some stupid filter rejects the correct one! Substitute u with a), unsuitable, thread too M24 x 3.

For reference the Toyota supplied item is 210mm overall length and 140mm from the base of the eye to the end of the threaded portion (to clear the moulding, as MikeSh suggests). The threaded length is 40mm.

1 hour ago, mrpj1 said:

For reference the Toyota supplied item is 210mm overall length and 140mm from the base of the eye to the end of the threaded portion (to clear the moulding, as MikeSh suggests).

The OEM ones are usually very long and stick out much further than you'd want for bling. You need to fit the OEM one and Mark the shank where you want the 'base' of the bling one to be (usually level with the moulding), then remove it and measure how far that is from the threads.

Even then it can get treacherous as the length of the threaded portion and how far it can go into the car portion can mess it up too. (I spent some time fitting 'permanent' SS lashing eyes to a previous car for a long roof load, and didn't want them sticking out several inches ... at shin height! That was quite a trial by hacksaw, backnut and threadlock 😮 )

I wonder if these are an MOT fail as they protrude from the body of the car, potentially a risk to pedestrians

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

I wonder if these are an MOT fail as they protrude from the body of the car, potentially a risk to pedestrians

Quite possible Bob if there as a permanent adornment? e.g. Rolls Royce retractable Spirit of Ecstacy, MB's 3 pointed suppository. Very little faith in your vehicle if it is! Your question "Why?" is very relevant too.

I have to confess, that years ago, I used to add "cool" accessories to my cars which served no particular purpose.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links