Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Safety Feature Volume Control?

Lokitheforestcat

I've just become the proud owner of a Yaris Y20 after my Aygo was involved in a low speed shunt and was written off - the damage caused has put me off the small rollerskate cars a bit!

Anyway, the volume on the security features - Lane marker, pre-crash etc seems very low. I'm not hard of hearing but would expect something like this to have a decent audio.

Is there anyway please of increasing the volume? I can't see anything on the Touch 2 system it has.

Many thanks

The yaris is a NCAP 5-star car IIRC the Aygo is a 3 star

The touch2 has nothing to do with the TSS (Toyota safety sense) its all done with the wheel controls and the menu between the gauges

i will dig up the info shortly

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

The yaris is a NCAP 5-star car IIRC the Aygo is a 3 star

I expect the Aygo doesn't have the collision avoidance, lane keeping, etc. which is worth 2 stars these days. Some car models with specs on the cheap ones that don't have these often get 5* for the higher spec ones and only 3* for the poverty version(s).

For physical protection the Aygo may not be that different to the Yaris, but in reality the more a car protects you the more damage it may take in your place. So in some respects the ability of the car to survive an impact may be inversely proportional to it's crash safety.

My 2016 is 5-star No TSS, The gen3 from 2011 with standard equipment is 5 star

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/toyota/yaris/10997

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/toyota/yaris/29484

2014 on mk2 is 4 star

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/toyota/aygo/7898

Be careful with the stars, they can't always be compared across years - The Fiat Panda famously went from 4 stars to 0 stars with no changes to its safety systems, just because it wasn't updated for the newer ncap tests! It wasn't suddenly unsafe, just didn't match up with the newer ncap testing criteria so well.

In a way, it just shows how on it Toyota have been with their safety - I don't think any Yaris has had less than 4 stars, and with the Panda example I mentioned it shows how Toyota have kept up with improvements in safety over the years! (Just don't be a pedestrian near a Yaris... :laugh: )

re. the damage to the Aygo - The front, and to a lesser extent, the back of cars are deliberately made super fragile, so in the event of a crash they take more of the damage instead of transmitting it to the rest of the car (And the driver/passengers!)

Because of this, even 'gentle' crashes can produce disproportionately large amounts of damage, so don't be too freaked out by that. It's one reason why so many modern cars have these 1-piece squishy plastic front and rear bumpers.

You often see this in different forms of motor racing when there's a serious crash - If the car looks looks like its been through a shredder, the driver usually survives, often just feeling a bit sore, but if the car is intact the driver often has much worse injuries.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

Be careful with the stars, they can't always be compared across years

Yes, NCAP and other equivalents have rather screwed it up. Every few years they update the star rating system to include recent safety improvements. New cars or versions are then tested and rated to that, but previously tested/rated cars are not reassessed and retain their old star rating.

So many/most cars more than a few years old, and probably some still on sale new,  will have ratings that don't make sense when compared against the latest cars.

In fact you can't even easily compare two different model cars that are the same age because their NCAP test ratings may have been done under different 'rules'.

Yeah - There are a lot of stupid ratings like that in the car industry, that are not comparable when they look like they should be.

I had someone tell me I should have gotten a Mk3, which would have been cheaper and more efficient, being rated for over 80mpg vs the Mk4 that can 'only' do 65mpg, and I had to explain that you can't compare NEDC and WLTP ratings (They started to glaze over as soon as I started using acronyms... :laugh: )

Tyres is another one - I found out the other day that the Treadwear rating is completely useless, as it's measured completely differently between manufacturers, and even subdivisions of manufacturers!!

It loses a lot of usefulness when things can't be compared. We may as well just come up with our own ratings! I give my Mk4 a TOC rating of 9001! :laugh: 

Thanks guys - any idea on the volume to the TSS?

It was a shunt from behind that pushed us into the car in front. The front looked OK the back had nearly disappeared! I like that the Yaris looks like it could withstand an impact. 

• Like 1

I had parking sensor beep volume increased by dealer, but you can do via carista app.

Other volumes can only be adjusted via Nav unit. General-Volume settings (on my wife’s 2018 mk3).

• Like 1

TSS warnings are done by the sounder on the back of the gauge cluster

not played with techstream for a while so cant remember if there are any settings for the volume

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links