Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk4 Yaris Auto lights

Cyker

Does anyone know if there is *any* way to disable the auto-lights?

The problem is when it gets even slightly dark the dipped beams come on - I wouldn't mind if it detected different levels of darkness, and went to sidelights before dipped beams, but no, it goes straight to dipped beams!

It's becoming an actual problem now, as I've had several drivers flash or making angry gestures at me, and I'm pretty sure it's because the beams are coming on and blinding them. I've even lowered the beam level to 3 and that hasn't helped! (Heck they even blind me when I'm behind another car, if it's very clean, just from the reflection!).

I don't understand why there in no Off on the stalk, just Auto, Side and Dipped!

Without some sort of solution I'll have to drive around with sidelights on all the time so I don't get lynched!

Hi , isn't the switch for the auto lights on the console in front of your right knee ?

Sensitivity of auto on can be adjusted in light settings.
If you have halogen headlamps, your levelling system will be a manual wheel. This needs to be on 0 under normal conditions. If LED, they are levelled automically.

• Like 1

My headlights on the corolla do go on and off as it starts to get dark especially when driving under trees and bridges I have adjusted them to -2 on the sensitivity didn’t make much difference I do what you have said and switch them to sidelights .

It is a pain that there is no off position but I have seen plenty of cars driving along without any lights on at all so maybe that’s why Toyota have not put a off position on them be interesting to know if other manufacturers are the same.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rosgoe said:

My headlights on the corolla do go on and off as it starts to get dark especially when driving under trees and bridges I have adjusted them to -2 on the sensitivity didn’t make much difference I do what you have said and switch them to sidelights .

It is a pain that there is no off position but I have seen plenty of cars driving along without any lights on at all so maybe that’s why Toyota have not put a off position on them be interesting to know if other manufacturers are the same.

When I said 0, I meant on the beam levelling wheel - if you have halogen headlamps.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone! :biggrin: 

1 hour ago, Starensis said:

Sensitivity of auto on can be adjusted in light settings.
If you have halogen headlamps, your levelling system will be a manual wheel. This needs to be on 0 under normal conditions. If LED, they are levelled automically.

Curiously, my Mk4 does have LEDs (It's why I keep blinding myself :laugh: Flippin' heck those things are bright!!), but it has a manual adjustment wheel for the levelling! As I said I have lowered them but this hasn't reduced the angry gestures... :unsure:

51 minutes ago, Rosgoe said:

The DRLs would be on regardless, since they're a legal requirement, although like you I do see lots of people in older cars driving around in dim conditions with no lights at all.

It's almost funny as I see the full range of possible lights on the drive home from work:

Old cars with no DRLs, driver hasn't turned on any lights (Hard to see because of all the other blinding lights!)

Newer cars with DRLs, driver hasn't turned on any lights (...So the DRLs are blinding me...)

Cars with sidelights on (Hallelujah!)

Cars with the dipped beam on (Halogens are fine, LEDs are argh, esp when they go over a bump or hill!)

Cars with the high beam on (Oh come on people...)

The one type of modern vehicle light that I wish was legally mandated on all cars, are the adaptive matrix LED lights - I love that they automatically turn off where a car is, but light up everywhere else! Genius!! All cars with LEDs should have this!!! :yes:

Thanks both for the reminder of the sensitivity setting - I had forgotten about that.

From what rosgoe says it sounds like it isn't very effective, but I might try it anyway...

For a laugh I've copied this post and e-mailed it to Toyota UK to see what they say...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links