Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Mk4 Mudguards

W1P30UT

I live in the muddy country side, and I am thinking of buying and fitting the mudguards. Simple question, are they any good and worth fitting?

Thanks

I purchased my MK 4 Launch Edition with the protection pack (which included front & rear mudguards), when car arrived I wasn't impressed with the small size of them - only protruding 45mm. below the bodywork......so not alot of rain/mud splashing prevention going on there then😱 !?

Maybe better to try & source 3rd. party ones, which will probably cost you less as well?🤑🤔

1 hour ago, AlfK said:

I purchased my MK 4 Launch Edition with the protection pack (which included front & rear mudguards), when car arrived I wasn't impressed with the small size of them - only protruding 45mm. below the bodywork......so not alot of rain/mud splashing prevention going on there then😱 !?

Maybe better to try & source 3rd. party ones, which will probably cost you less as well?🤑🤔

They call them "bavettes" in French, and they are not what I would call mudguards. The idea, as far as I can tell, is instead of rain water trailing along the bodywork when it rains, the water is "left behind" in the wind rather than along the bodywork. I have ordered these too, but didn't care for the door ding protector, so didn't go for the pack.

When fitted they look more like a fashion accessory than functional, don't do much except for stopping mud and stones being flung straight at the sill, could do to be longer but problem then would be floor clearance, that said anything is better than nothing and I fitted them.

• Like 1

Thanks, they don't look that effective. But I remember as a kid having a Volvo with very big mudguards! 🙂

As Ian said they are more of a fashion accessory but they do help I was hoping that mine would stop the spray onto the hatch and keeping the rear camera lens clear but they don’t they are much cheaper from Toyota parts direct with fast delivery than from your dealer.

Other option is if there are companies that does made to order mudguards in uk like custom made sun blinds they can take measurements and do some proper sized mudguards, you may need to visit the place though to let them measure your car and discuss the shape etc. 👍

Can I presume everyone here is refering to 'mud flaps' and not 'mud guards'. I've the latter on my push bike!

• Haha 2

Life is a compromise. But large mudflaps like the old Volvo you refer to and it would look odd. Apart from that, as already said, too large and they would catch on kerbs etc and probably get ripped off.

Rosgoe, what you describe is with all hatchbacks due to air flow. I think to achieve what you want the flap would have to be all across the back of the car and very close to the floor, or, as those fitted to trucks that take the energy out of the water coming off the tyres so it tends to drop to the road, though that may not stop rear end getting mucky.

11 minutes ago, Catlover said:

as those fitted to trucks that take the energy out of the water coming off the tyres so it tends to drop to the road, though that may not stop rear end getting mucky.

I recall a carpet like material on the inside of truck mudguards to reduce spray. I had a Focus with a similar sort of thing on the inside of the rear wings. Don't know about reducing spray, but it certainly reduced wet road noise.

You'd be surprised how effective those little things are!

My Mk2 didn't come with any and the lower part of the front doors were always covered with muck if I went for a drive. The Toyota eBay channel had some at a discount so I impulse bought them, and they cut down the amount of muck flung onto the doors by a surprisingly large amount! You still get some, esp. if you e.g. blast through a mud puddle, but for general driving it helped a lot.

Didn't help the spray onto the rear doors at all tho' :sad:

If you want more substantial flaps, thanks to the GR4 you can get 'rally flaps' which should fit with a small bit of adaptation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnRfbMbpccc

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know it’s an old post, but rather than starting another new one I thought I would tag on to this one. Does anyone have a link to fitting instructions on these?

My friend is ordering a new Yaris tomorrow and if I can save her a few £££ by getting them from Toyota parts direct and fitting them myself I would like to. Just want to make sure it wouldn’t involve removing the rear wheels. I have an angled driver to make things easier. 

Thanks

The ones for my Mk2 came with instructions, but IIRC* the front ones were super easy as they just bolted into existing holes that held in the arch liner.

I don't know how it is with the Mk4, but I've watched GR Yaris videos, which should be very similar, and the front on those is similarly intuitive, again reusing existing holes, while the rear is a bit more of a PITA** as you have to drill extra holes, which requires removing the rear wheels to be able to drill the holes.

*If I Recall Correctly

** Pain In The Donkey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, thank you, I will take a look again.  

I kept getting videos for the Yaris in India and it wasn't even the version we have in the UK 😁

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links