Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problems with the automatic light feature.

Trulivar

23 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The whole reason me and the OP are having to use sidelights

No, you are choosing to.

Specifically you are choosing to reduce the visibility afforded by DRLs or headlights down to that of sidelights. That could be construed as being in breach of rule 226.

I understand your frustration with the automatic system in your car, but the uselessness of sidelights in daytime is why DRLs are now mandatory. Deliberately reducing your visibility to other road users just because you think headlights are overkill is horrible.

(I ride a bike several times a week and when I see lights approaching, particularly in the mirror from behind where they are 'small', I get prepared for what is coming - eg. I'll try to make it easier for them to pass safely. Older cars with no DRLs or headlights on are often only noticeable when almost on me, so there is little time to prepare, and I curse them.)

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, MikeSh said:

I understand your frustration with the automatic system in your car, but the uselessness of sidelights in daytime is why DRLs are now mandatory. Deliberately reducing your visibility to other road users just because you think headlights are overkill is horrible.

Yes, and in tunnels, the number of cars I've (not) seen in tunnels, running with no lights or just side lights, that are practically invisible, and don't get me on those running at twilight with no lights at all, what are they doing, fighting climate change ?

I must admit I am a little concerned about the auto lights on the Yaris IV not having an "off" position, but I drive as little as possible at night, or when visibility is poor.

• Like 2

All cars should have an optional to completely switch off all kind of lights, everything automatic just make more insensible drivers, that’s it. Sidelights btw should only be used when vehicle is parked and never while in motion especially if you have older car with standard bulbs because these lights create a stroboscopic effect, it makes moving objects look like stationary or moving at much lower speeds., you can imagine the results. 👍 The option to turn the lights from auto to ON is perhaps when it’s raining and you are driving on motorways where headlights and taillights are needed to be seen by others from front and rear. , side lights for example when parked and waiting for inside the car in ready mode. 

• Like 1

At the end of the day:

a) daytime running lights should be used at all times the vehicle is being driven in normal daytime driving and where visibility is not reduced by weather

b) dipped headlights should be used during daytime where visibility is reduced due to weather conditions

c) sidelights (also known as position lights) may be used in built up areas at night where street lighting is present and the speed limit is 30mph or less

d) dipped headlights should be used at night where c) doesn't apply

Presumably Toyota has decided that, with the auto function not having an 'off' position, this will mean that drivers automatically have DRL's illuminated, or, where the light levels are reduced, headlights illuminated.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links