Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mystery beeping and speedometer changing

JK80

Hi there, was wondering if anyone could help me with this. Recently bought a used 2018 Yaris Hybrid from a Toyota dealer and in the month or so I've been driving it something strange keeps happening. It's very hard to articulate what the issue is as it happens very, very quickly. Basically there is a beeping sound and then something happens to the speedometer. The numbers disappear and it kind of goes red where the numbers were and then suddenly it's back to normal again. It happens in a split second - so quickly I'm not entirely sure what is going on - hence the sketchy description. Does this sound at all familiar to anyone..?!! Thanks in advance. 

You need to get the car scanned for codes - some C28xx will not put the light on but will store a code sounds like a power/cluster issue, if you are not happy  take it back, if its Jemca you may have a fight on your hands

Hi, thanks for your reply. Sorry, forgive my lack of knowledge but I didn't really know what that meant. Is it a serious issue?

2 hours ago, JK80 said:

Hi there, was wondering if anyone could help me with this. Recently bought a used 2018 Yaris Hybrid from a Toyota dealer and in the month or so I've been driving it something strange keeps happening. It's very hard to articulate what the issue is as it happens very, very quickly. Basically there is a beeping sound and then something happens to the speedometer. The numbers disappear and it kind of goes red where the numbers were and then suddenly it's back to normal again. It happens in a split second - so quickly I'm not entirely sure what is going on - hence the sketchy description. Does this sound at all familiar to anyone..?!! Thanks in advance. 

If by speedometer you mean the digital display in the middle of the panel, then it's almost certainly the lane departure warning.

If you are lightning quick to look, or easier is to deliberately let the car drift while watching the display, you'll see the red is a line indicating which side you are straying to.

Mine used to do it until I turned it off. I usually leave those aids on but it was just annoying (as you've found) - I could barely hear the beeping as its pitch is in a bad part of my hearing, it was too quick to read, and it takes no action itself like tugging the wheel a bit, so ...

If the centre display ( between speedo & power meter ) flashed red & beeped it is likely the Pre-collision system detecting and object as you approach it and warning you, if you take no action e.g. brake or steer the system may take over and stop you however most of the time the car see's what it determines as a pending collision & activates flashing the MID red with BRAKE in white and beeps

Thanks everyone! I also spoke to a friend about it who has a Toyota and he knew exactly what I meant and said (as Devon Aygo did) that it's the pre-collision system. Really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply! Thank you 🙂 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links