Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intelligent Clearance Sonar with automatic braking: New Yaris

YarisOAP

Can you retro fit the Intelligent Clearance Sonar with automatic braking: for backing up in car parks 

It's normally a factory fit option, but if you can get the part numbers and order the parts I don't see why not. Only tricky bit is whether something in the ECU needs to be switched on to use it with e.g. techstream, or if the system will just automatically detect it and use it.

Knowing Toyota the parts will probably be eye-wateringly expensive tho'...!

Intelligent Clearance Sonar with automatic braking, is the American version

The European Yaris gets Rear Cross Traffic Assist with braking (RCTA or RCTB)

or

the City Pack (not available on the design) parking sensors and BSM with folding mirrors

It all depends on the body loom, what car do you have on order ? or do you have a 2020 mk4 Yaris ?

Yes it has been done it also depends on what gauges you have too, a dealer will not do any retro fit work you will need to do the work your self, there are a few mk4's being broken for spares

there is a thread on here somewhere.......................

RCTA uses a different module but virtual the same amount of work

I only wish I had known about the system before I bought the  model design would be very helpful in car parks backing up never mine next time I will know but still very pleased with this Yaris my Forth

I was able to add factory Parking Sensors with automatic braking and BSM+RCTA to a 2020 Yaris. It costs a lot and you need to do it yourself.

In my country, when I ordered the car, Yaris wouldn't come with these functions on any grade... in 2021 it seems they've added them in the offer.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 3:51 PM, flash22 said:

Intelligent Clearance Sonar with automatic braking, is the American version

The European Yaris gets Rear Cross Traffic Assist with braking (RCTA or RCTB)

or

the City Pack (not available on the design) parking sensors and BSM with folding mirrors

It all depends on the body loom, what car do you have on order ? or do you have a 2020 mk4 Yaris ?

Yes it has been done it also depends on what gauges you have too, a dealer will not do any retro fit work you will need to do the work your self, there are a few mk4's being broken for spares

there is a thread on here somewhere.......................

RCTA uses a different module but virtual the same amount of work

RCTA uses the BSM radars, no new parts.

I never said that, the BSM has a different Module compared to the RCTA/RCTB The UK design spec may not have the body loom, nor the correct dash for BSM/RTCA

Both systems us the Quasi-millimeter wave radar

Uk icon and design specs do not get BSM

1 hour ago, DorinA said:

I was able to add factory Parking Sensors with automatic braking and BSM+RCTA to a 2020 Yaris. It costs a lot and you need to do it yourself.

In my country, when I ordered the car, Yaris wouldn't come with these functions on any grade... in 2021 it seems they've added them in the offer.

Wow that's pretty mega!

Would you mind documenting how you did it? Part numbers, costs, how you fitted it and got it working etc.?

Did it just recognize it and use it automatically or did you have to do some software pokery to make it integrate the new systems?

Flash,

I might have misunderstood your post, I am sorry; from what I could see in the wiring diagrams and the parts catalog, the Dash (combination meter) is the key as that is the point where you activate/deactivate the BSM/RCTA/PKSB functions. If the combination meter's internal software cannot recognize the radars/clearance sonar, you cannot use the functions even if the ECUs are communicating correctly and GTS is able to calibrate them.

I can search for my Yaris's part number for the combination meter and share it with you guys. Toyota seems to be smart, the dashes have intelligent software, if you connect a new ECU to the CAN (I am referring to ECUs that "speak" with the dash and have been designed to work with it), the combination meter will automatically detect it and activate the functions (or request calibration if needed). Once these ECUs have been connected to the CAN, you cannot disconnect them anymore, unless you want to be stuck with a permanent error on the dash saying that particular function has a problem :). And I didn't see any info in the repair manuals to how one could get rid of such errors, unless you change the Dash...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Cyker,

Please find the TME part numbers for Yaris TMMF, 5 doors, MXPH11, left side steering:

BSM

1) Outside mirror glass LH --- 8790A-02020
2) Outside mirror glass RH  --- 8790A-02010
3) Blind Spot Radar LH/RH --- 88162-K0010  x 2 pieces (radars are intelligent, they know which is right and left from the wiring harness).
5) Radar bolts --- 90178-06012     x 6 pieces
6) Radar plate LH --- 65565-02070
7) Radar plate RH --- 65565-02070 

Radar connector --- 90980-12380 x pieces

CLEARANCE SONAR ECU (Parking Sensors)

1) Clearance warning ECU --- 89340-K0010

2) Nut --- 90179-06274
3) Buzzer --- 89343-48010
4) Front Corner Sensor ---   89341-K0060-A0  x 2  (PNC:89341K)   -  This is for color White (040)
5) Front Central Sensor ---  89341-K0060-C0  x 2  (PNC:89341L)
6) Front Corner Sensor Retainer LH --- 89348-K0290-A0    -  This is for color White (040)
7) Front Corner Sensor Retainer RH --- 89348-K0280-A0  -   This is for color White (040)
😎 Front Corner Sensor Clip --- 89348-58130  x 2
9) Rear Corner Sensor --- 89341-K0060-A0     x 2   (PNC:89342)  -   This is for color White (040)
10) Rear Corner Sensor Retainer --- 89348-K0230   x 2
11) Rear Center Sensor --- 89341-K0060-A0  (PNC:89342A)     x 2   -  This is for color White (040)
12 Rear Center Sensor Retainer --- 89348-K0230   x 2
13) Front bumper cable --- 82113-K0120
14) Rear bumper cable --- 82182-K0020
15) Front Radiator Grille ---  53101-K0030   - this might not work as you have GR, and there is a special grille for that....

16) Clearance Warning ECU Connector - 90980-12924

17) Wire harness repair - 82998-47010 x 10 pieces - the connector has 2 pin types

18) Wire harness repair - 82998-47030 x 8 pieces  - the connector has 2 pin types

Please check the parts for RHD, if you live in UK, there might be differences, you need to have access to the parts catalogue.

• Thanks 3

On 11/30/2021 at 2:19 PM, YarisOAP said:

I only wish I had known about the system before I bought the  model design would be very helpful in car parks backing up never mine next time I will know but still very pleased with this Yaris my Forth

Just a suggestion, instead of backing out of a car park space (into the unknown) why not back into the space…. then you re driving out of it.

• Like 1

How to add BSM: first you need to study the car's wiring diagram ; there will be additional wiring needed, and you'd have to install that yourself. Usually, you need to add: IGN (power for the two radars) from the instrument panel connectors (near main body ECU); GND (anywhere you see a GND point); CAN bus wires to CAN controller from the master BSM radar (for LHD cars that's the left radar); CAN bus wires from the master radar to the slave one (this is how the radars know which is right and left, the slave is not connected directly to the CAN controller, it's just connected to the master); two signals from the two radars to the side mirror glasses for the BSM LEDs.

I strongly suggest using the same wire color as in the wiring diagram and connecting the signals exactly as in the wiring diagram (to the CAN junction and the instrument panel), for this you'll need to use special pins because the connectors are empty where these wires should have been placed.

Attached is the a picture with how to arrange the wires in the 2 radar connectors, the view is from the front of the connector (the part that goes into the radar).

The arrangement is also found on the wiring diagram (at the end).

After you have the parts, you need to take down the rear bumper, install the plates, the radars to the plates (look in the service manuals for the installation conditions), put in the wiring for the radars and mirror indicators (you need to take off the mirrors and put in wires, change the glass and wire the doors).

After checking all is ok, Hit power and you should see the Error on the display: BSM Malfunction, visit your dealer. If this is the case, it works. Then connect GTS to the car, check that the radars are correctly communicating. Put back the rear bumper and go calibrate them...you need a special tool for that, or you can construct one. Or go to a service shop with such tool and use GTS to calibrate the radars, after which BSM should work....

• Thanks 3

Awesome! Thanks, that's really good info! :thumbsup:

That's a lot of parts... I almost don't want to know how much that all costs and how long and fiddly it was to put in!! :laugh: 

I will say the RCTA is a bit meh - It's okay but it's just another beep in a car that already has far too many beeps, and it's bloody scary when it suddenly brakes! The front and rear proximity sonar are very useful however, esp. in conjunction with the reversing camera, as the Mk4 has such awful rear visibility!

Clearance Sonar: it's similar to the BSM, mine had factory cabling from the instrument panel to the front bumper. So I just ordered the rest of the front bumper cable (you need to take off the old cable connected to the cruise control radar and put in this new one that comes with sensor cables and cruise control radar cable). Take down the front bumper, look on the back to find the drill spots (they're there, just look) and drill the holes (23mm hole for front, 18mm for back).

Put in the sensor brackets and insert the sensors (don't have to worry about how to place the sensors, they are digital). Take off the old radiator grille and put in the new one (with holes and retainers for the 2 black center sensors).

Similar for the back bumper, but there you need cabling from the ECU to the back bumper connector and from the ECU to CAN, Power, BUZZER and GND.

Be careful on the sensor color when you order them, you need 6 colored sensors and 2 black (depending on your car's paint color, you don't need to paint them).

Like I said, you don't need to worry on the sensor order for back or front (you understand that the black ones are on the center :)), they are digital, they use 3 wires: Power, GND and communication.

After all wiring is done and sensors installed, but back the bumpers, install the ECU and hit Power, you should see a similar error: Parking assist malfunction, visit your dealer.

Then you really need to go to the dealer and ask them to register the Parking ECU (clearance sonar ECU) Security Key; for that you need GTS and an account at TME, without these it will not work. After registering the ECU security key, calibrate the sensors (you need a digital angle gauge and the repair manual procedure) and it should work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cost... around 4.5K EUR (VAT included).

If you were closer to Romania, I could have helped you....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links