Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Grating noise when turning left

sofram

My December 2015 Toyota Auris Hybrid estate has now developed a new problem.  When I turn sharp left (this is a lefthand-drive car) there is a low sound somehow reminiscent of metal grating in shallow water.  What could be the cause here and am I in for an expensive repair - ideally one that can be done by a non Toyota garage 

Hi, most noises on these cars come from the brakes or suspension and eventually exhaust heat shield. These 3 areas needs to be checked first. Likely it’s only check, find and fix solution and no need an expensive parts replacement or diagnostics. Diy car enthusiast or local garage can do the job as good as main dealer or even better. 
Good luck 

• Like 1

9/10 it is the heat shield protecting the shocks from the brake disc heat - The heat shield is a thin metal plate that covers the inside face of the brake disc and they get rusty and warped over time, and also bent by careless mechanics, and eventually start rubbing against the brake disc at certain steering angles.

Every previous Yaris I've had has had that issue develop at some point (Usually after brakes and discs get changed!)

You can replace the plate, but I just bent it back so it wouldn't rub.

Thank you for the replies.  I cannot be a 100% certain but I think the noise has died down for now.  Out where I live there is a tendency to over-grit the roads in winter.  This sound started after an intensive period of gritting when the roads were dry (yes, it may sound crazy but that is the way it is).  It has now started raining again and the noise appears to have gone.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links