Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2007 1.6 auris gears trouble

Roryb

Afternoon all. Hope someone can help me. My gf has a 2007 1.6 auris and yesterday she broke down. From what she was saying she can go in to first fine then 2nd it doesn’t want to know. But when she puts it in to reverse it goes back when when she puts the clutch pedal Down the car wheels lock up. Now do you think this is a clutch issue or gearbox issue. She’s rang a few garages and they don’t want to know and telling her to scrap it without looking at it. Any help would be great

Does it go in to any other gears? Can it shift when the car is off and not running?

Usually clutch issues cause a horrible grinding sound when trying to go into a gear, or prevent going into gear at all.

Gearbox issues often manifest as a weird obstructive feeling when trying to shift - When the gearbox in my Mk2 Yaris failed, it started off as getting more and more difficult to get into 1st and 2nd, and eventually I had to lift the reverse-collar for them to slide in properly, then as I was driving it suddenly stopped going into 1st and 2nd at all, felt like something was blocking it from going in. Wiggled the gear stick around, got 1st to engage so I could at least move off, but then lost 1st and 2nd again, and could only use 3rd-6th, but as I struggled to the junction I lost 5th and 6th too as I couldn't move the gear lever to the right any more, and eventually was down to 3rd and reverse as I couldn't move the lever down or right as it felt like something was obstructing.

Luckily I managed to get into a side road and call the toyota breakdown recovery (i.e. the AA), who declared the gearbox to have 'had it'.

If she can slide it into all the gears while the car is off and not running, the gearbox is likely okay so you can start looking at the clutch. If it won't go into some gears at all tho', you may have a similar issue to what I had (Well, I guessed it was a broken selector fork, but I never took the time to open the gearbox up!).

Hopefully it's not the gearbox! Trying to get someone to repair it for a reasonable cost was impossible in London (I was getting quotes of £700 for a replacement from a scrap yard! And to repair was the same but with a 3-week turnaround!! Thankfully I managed to find a replacement from a welsh scrapper on eBay for £150...)

I read OP's post 3x, and then my head started to hurt...

Unless you provide a more accurate description of the issue, troubleshooting it is a waste of time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links