Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Service contracts

Tel_man

1 hour ago, Geoff W said:

I also don’t like the sales pitch which implies that only an irresponsible car owner would decline!

Not just Toyota dealers who do this.

There are advantages to service plans:

Fixed price at todays prices, interest free, fixed budget over the period. The plan is like a pot of money, you build up the pot month by month, by the time you are ready for a service, there is enough in the pot to pay for the service. If you sell the car, you get back whats in the pot, if you change the car, the pot can go into a new plan for the new car.

I appreciate people will pay as you go, but the vast majority of people don't do that. Many customers cannot afford to run the car let alone service it. It is not for everyone, but it works very well. It also works in favour of the dealer, who knows you that you will be coming back in 12 months to see him and not going to Fred in the shed to have the car filled with 20W 50 GTX for £9.99 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Parts-King said:

I appreciate people will pay as you go, but the vast majority of people don't do that. Many customers cannot afford to run the car let alone service it. It is not for everyone, but it works very well. It also works in favour of the dealer, who knows you that you will be coming back in 12 months to see him and not going to Fred in the shed to have the car filled with 20W 50 GTX for £9.99 

If customers are running around in cars they cannot afford and they haven't even got the money to pay for the service outright, then I'd question whether it is working out well for the customer.

They'd be better running an older, more affordable car and taking it to Fred once a year.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 4:45 PM, Woofwoof said:

Puncture repairs are always free at any Toyota centre for any Toyota cars

Is there an official Toyota link, or are we walking into our dealerships and saying "Oh I heard it from Woofwoof, online?"

1 hour ago, 2badmice said:

Is there an official Toyota link, or are we walking into our dealerships and saying "Oh I heard it from Woofwoof, online?"

Most Toyota dealers will include whether or not they offer free puncture repairs on their website - eg Free Puncture Repairs | RRG Toyota | Across the North West (rrg-group.com)  Most will require an appointment to be booked.

I think they officially have to offer free puncture repair as part of their franchise agreement, but it costs them money and time and they're usually so overbooked anyway that they really don't want you to, so they make it as inconvenient as possible...

I mean, a puncture is not something you can generally wait half a month to have repaired - I'd consider it a minor emergency! Most normal garages will fit it in around their normal work if you just turn up, albeit you're paying for it, but none of the dealers I've enquired about this would budge on booking it advance, even the first time when I was on their forecourt with a flat tyre, so deffo wouldn't rely on them for this 'service'... (Ironically there was a Halfords autocentre right next door so inflated the tyre up to 60psi and drove it there; Had to wait 20 minutes for them to fit me in and got charged £25(!) for it but at least it got done!)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Parts-King said:

There are advantages to service plans:

Fixed price at todays prices, interest free, fixed budget over the period. The plan is like a pot of money, you build up the pot month by month, by the time you are ready for a service, there is enough in the pot to pay for the service. If you sell the car, you get back whats in the pot, if you change the car, the pot can go into a new plan for the new car.

Funny but to the point indeed 👍

For the puncture repair, every driver should have some sort of repair kit in the boot or spare tyre and be able to help themselves in case of emergency then have the car driving and time to reserve a new tyres or proper repair. 👌🏁

On 12/17/2021 at 6:34 PM, AJones said:

If customers are running around in cars they cannot afford and they haven't even got the money to pay for the service outright, then I'd question whether it is working out well for the customer.

They'd be better running an older, more affordable car and taking it to Fred once a year.

You can't stop people buying what they want, be it a phone, X Box, New car or whatever

• Like 1

i`ve always paid for the service there and then, just my preference nothing against service plans i just like to keep my cash in my pocket till needed. but i agree just budget each month and the cost is covered.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 10:53 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Most Toyota dealers will include whether or not they offer free puncture repairs on their website - eg Free Puncture Repairs | RRG Toyota | Across the North West (rrg-group.com)  Most will require an appointment to be booked.

Cheers I will take a look, two times I've had to use a local MOT centre for a puncture, last one was a replacement tyre on my 2019 Golf £96 whilst on furlough, and prior to that it was £10 repair on my 2008 Polo, but I can't remember the year it happened.

When having my tyres changed recently, my Toyota dealer actually offered to price match Kwik  Fit. Although I did not take them up on it for a number of reasons I thought this was excellent service to ensure only Toyota technicians work on your car. Probably same reason they offer puncture repairs

50 minutes ago, Swanthecat said:

When having my tyres changed recently, my Toyota dealer actually offered to price match Kwik  Fit. Although I did not take them up on it for a number of reasons I thought this was excellent service to ensure only Toyota technicians work on your car.

..and then the Toyota sat nav directs you along a country road with nasty curbing and you trash one of the new tyres. Got my own back by replacing it with one from a local tyre shop but it annoyed me. Only good thing was that although trashed it kept pressure and my 30 year history of not needing a spare tyre held good 🙂

6 hours ago, Swanthecat said:

When having my tyres changed recently, my Toyota dealer actually offered to price match Kwik  Fit. Although I did not take them up on it for a number of reasons I thought this was excellent service to ensure only Toyota technicians work on your car. Probably same reason they offer puncture repairs

Impressed they offered it - Sounds like you have one of the good dealers! :biggrin: 

With mine, I had to ask them explicitly, and they reluctantly admitted they did price match, but I'd have to produce a paper quote of the price on the competing company's stationary and it could not be an on-line quote, and it had to be within x miles of the dealership for them to honour it... so basically the same as the puncture repair - They offered it on paper but set up as many roadblocks as possible to try and stop you taking advantage of it!

3 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Impressed they offered it - Sounds like you have one of the good dealers! :biggrin: 

With mine, I had to ask them explicitly, and they reluctantly admitted they did price match, but I'd have to produce a paper quote of the price on the competing company's stationary and it could not be an on-line quote, and it had to be within x miles of the dealership for them to honour it... so basically the same as the puncture repair - They offered it on paper but set up as many roadblocks as possible to try and stop you taking advantage of it!

And in which Country is that please ?

• 2 weeks later...

How often does the Corolla 1.8 hybrid needs a service?

Toyota recommends every 5000 miles.

I will be doing 20k miles per year - 4 services per year. Isn't this a bit too often?

Sorry if this has been commented somewhere already ans I've missed it.

7 minutes ago, Niky said:

Toyota recommends every 5000 miles.

If you have looked at toyota.com, this is the Toyota US website where they have different servicing requirements.

In the UK Toyota service intervals are 1 year or 10,000 miles whichever occurs first. Intermediate service at 1 year/10,000 miles, 3 years/30,000, etc. Full service at 2 years/20,000 miles, 4 years/40,000 miles, etc.

In Europe, service intervals are 1 year/15,000km.

31 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If you have looked at toyota.com, this is the Toyota US website where they have different servicing requirements.

In the UK Toyota service intervals are 1 year or 10,000 miles whichever occurs first. Intermediate service at 1 year/10,000 miles, 3 years/30,000, etc. Full service at 2 years/20,000 miles, 4 years/40,000 miles, etc.

In Europe, service intervals are 1 year/15,000km.

Makes sense

10k miles sound much better 

Thank you

20 hours ago, Niky said:

Makes sense

10k miles sound much better 

Thank you

So how much would it be the annual cost for 20k miles with Corolla hybrid 1.8, one service at £190+ one for £350 + road tax £145, and the insurance (£500-1000) + fuel £2000. Is that correct calculation? 

Its the same as the cost of one major and two intermediate for 3 years/30K. Guessing there is an option for 2 year/20K/30K etc but basically its the cost of the services you need over the anticipated period of time divided by term. Road Tax, Insurance and fuel are not included.

The advantage comes from predictable costs and inflation protection.

So, *if* they do it, a 1 year/20K plan would be £540

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

So how much would it be the annual cost for 20k miles with Corolla hybrid 1.8, one service at £190+ one for £350 + road tax £145, and the insurance (£500-1000) + fuel £2000. Is that correct calculation? 

Sounds about right

Chose the 1.8 over the 2L as estimated 1.8 to cost between £700-1k less per year over the 42 months PCP for fuel, insurance and the monthly PCP payments 

How much do you pay for insurance in UK guys? Currently driving 1.6 diesel Honda Civic and my premium is around £350 - 9 years NCB and live in Hampshire 

• Thanks 1

Also in Hants but Insurance is likely far more postcode specific....I paid £280, which was a lot less than the previous Auris with same driving conditions/habits etc. Too many variables for insurance to compare really. That's with protected NCB 9+, clean record, one no fault accident in past 3 years, partner on Insurance, she also had one no fault claim on hers (which got counted as well). That's 12K per year.

27 minutes ago, trashman1965 said:

Also in Hants but Insurance is likely far more postcode specific....I paid £280, which was a lot less than the previous Auris with same driving conditions/habits etc. Too many variables for insurance to compare really. That's with protected NCB 9+, clean record, one no fault accident in past 3 years, partner on Insurance, she also had one no fault claim on hers (which got counted as well). That's 12K per year.

I think mine was £280 too. I've added few extra bits, such as NCB protection, courtesy car and legal expenses to make it up to £350ish - don't remember exactly...

Do you really pay only £280 for insurance for the Corolla? Thought the insurance for a new car will be higher, because of the higher cost of the car itself. Not bad

This will be my first brand new car ever. Exciting times

I pay £252 insurance for my Auris and £145 for our near twenty year old Corolla which incidentally had a straight pass on its MOT last week. That has a limited annual mileage of 3k. I was also offered £500 for it which considering it looks slightly down at heel was pretty decent tbh. It went nearly two years without a service with the 6 month extension on the MOT in 2020 which meant I just had it MOT'd last year in January to see where it was at. It passed that. What an amazing car, Toyota's reputation was deserved with the older models like these. Treated it to a basic service in March. Not really sure what to do this year... its just so useful as I don't worry where I park it etc. And it drives so well.  

The Auris had a service plan that ran for 7 years from new. To be fair it was good value for money and that was the primary reason for taking out the plan. £15.15 a month back then and MOT's and brake fluid changes were included.

1 hour ago, Niky said:

I think mine was £280 too. I've added few extra bits, such as NCB protection, courtesy car and legal expenses to make it up to £350ish - don't remember exactly...

Do you really pay only £280 for insurance for the Corolla? Thought the insurance for a new car will be higher, because of the higher cost of the car itself. Not bad

This will be my first brand new car ever. Exciting times

Yup - and mine was including protected NCB - it was about £380 last renewal on the Auris. Age of car, safety rating etc. etc. all makes a difference.oh and to make you really cry, this was the 2.0L not the 1.8 🙂

Mind you I hunted/compared a bit - Quidco Compare was easiest and sop I am getting cashback at some point on top of the £280 price 🙂

Got the customary quote from Toyota (did the 2018 Auris thru Toyota as near as damn it same as I had paid on 2015 Auris with Tesco, plus 3 months cashback....even renewing it was worthwhile the following year so was super excited to see what hey would offer me on the new Corolla.....)

And....

OVER £9,000 🤦‍♂️ and they were surprised I declined....TBF they did get it down but still way way more than L=V

Yeah it always gets me how the Toyota insurance agents sound so surprised when they tell you "One MEEEELLION DORRARS! Would you like to pay monthly or a one off payment?" and you decline :laugh: 

I sometimes think they have somehow done their algorithm backwards, as every time I get average quotes from comparison sites they give me a ludicrously high quote, but when I get insanely high quotes from everyone else they give me cheap ones! :laugh: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links