Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speaker Wattage?

Calisto

I have a Clarion HU 53 watts x 4 :blink: what ever that may mean.

My problem is I have blown my Speakers. I have 2 Kenwood in the front and 2 Sony(originaly in the car) in the back. and 2 kenwood tweeters on my dash.

I think I have blown one of each :crybaby: 1 Kenwood and 1 Sony.

I want some new Speakers :lol: but dont know what wattage I can have.

please help. :thumbsup:

Ash.

Hi Asha

Need more info mate, do you have the documentation that came with your hifi, in the back will be the actual spec of the unit. You say you have blown Speakers can I ask how do you know, are they sounding scratchy, or not working at all?

Speakers should not be that expensive any more unless you have something rather special, most run of the mill stuff in normal cars is sensibly priced.

Personally out of preference I would prefer to swap Speakers as a pair unless you can find the exact match.

Master Simon all the Speakers are working only 2 sounding scratchy and none of them can handle any deep bass at all. :(

I still have the booklet that came with the head unit will look in there 2nite. :thumbsup:

I would like to have clarion Speakers all round but failing that will swap Speakers as a pair. :thumbsup:

Fidge I just want something that can handle some loud music that i can actaully feel :eek: in the car. lol you know what I mean. :unsure:

Fidge I just want something that can handle some loud music that i can actaully feel :eek: in the car. lol you know what I mean. :unsure:

that'll be a 10" sub behind your seat then ;)

that'll be a 10" sub behind your seat then ;)

Yeah baby.......... :lol:

The reason I questioned about the wattage is that this sounds an odd sort of value, now I am not an ICE expert but I am an electronics systems engineer and do understand a bit, but from a marketing point of view 53 watts is a odd sort of number I suspect this is a model number.

Scratchy Speakers, oh dear yes they are buggered, the coils have over heated and they deform, well the upgrade path seems good to me, with a sub would be really nice :blink:

But then I have a penchance for subs...... :lol:

The actuall head unit is a DXZ838RMP. HIGH POWER 53W X4.

Can you check it out for me. :P and let me know.

Well I stand corrected, indeed this is 53 watts per channel.

Here is a link to the clarion site.

http://www.clarionworld.co.uk/stock/dxz838rmp.asp

Righto as the Fidge said, if it is 53 watt then the speaker needs to be in the upper range, ie over 60 watts, I would go for 100 because these are rated at 53 watts MPO not RMS.

The wattage of a speaker is not directly related to the output, all is means is it can cope with that amount of power, if you had a 1000 watt speaker but put it on your walkman the cone might not even move, but I understand your concern.

Are you in a position to swap them all out, if so I would, but don't pay too much for brand names, ask your local ICE dealer for their recommendation, they might be able to offer you a deal if you have them all swapped out at once, maybe cut you a deal on a sub!!

A general rule of thumb is , the heavier the speaker generally the better it is, the new magnets are very very dense, and very efficient.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. I am sure my local ICE man can help out with a deal and I wouldnt mind a 10 inch sub behind me. I am sure my girl could cope with that. :yes:

just had a look at my back Speakers Sony only 15 watts no wonder they are blown. :rolleyes:

its worth mentioning.

PMPO is peak music power output... it is not a very good guide..

If you can work from RMS figures, its much better...

Oh, and the sub should be a good idea

RMS = Root Mean Square.. this is the true 'wattage' reading.

most things will have a rms reading, and when matching stereos, amps and Speakers, its best to match using the RMS

Ian, cant you have 53W RMS speaker, or do they have to be higher?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links