Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering knuckle for 2007 Toyota Aurius

Johnmmmmmmmmmmm

Hi folks

Ive a 2007 Toyota Aurius and my mechanic told me I need a new knuckle. When I look them up on eBay there is one for the left and one for the right. Apologies I've no mechanical knowledge does this mean it's for the right hand side of the car or a right hand sided vehicle? As my mechanic didn't tell me a side?

And would anyone recommend where the best and cheapest place to go to get one is?

Thanks for the help

Hi, 

yes there are R right hand side in uk driver side and L left hand side, passenger side. You need to find out which side you need it first. There should not be any difference between lhd or rhd cars. Why do you need to replace this out of interest? Thanks 

20 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

yes there are R right hand side in uk driver side and L left hand side, passenger side. You need to find out which side you need it first. There should not be any difference between lhd or rhd cars. Why do you need to replace this out of interest? Thanks 

Hi Tony,

The car has a slight rattle over rough ground. He replaced the rh arm and it's helped but there's a clicking when turning the wheel. He said the knuckle is worn and needs replaced. I must sound dumb then so Rh relates to right hat drive cars then? I can assume there's only one knuckle on the steering rack then?

Thanks again for your reply

Is the clicking present at higher speeds, or just slow speeds, like maneuvering around the parking lot?

If you are driving straight, and are turning right, does it happen once, or more times? And for example you go right, then left, again, does it click once, or 2,3,4 times?

I suspect what your man means is the steering knuckle, 45221 or wear in 45260 (the universal joint) 

knuckle.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, furtula said:

Is the clicking present at higher speeds, or just slow speeds, like maneuvering around the parking lot?

If you are driving straight, and are turning right, does it happen once, or more times? And for example you go right, then left, again, does it click once, or 2,3,4 times?

No the rattle starts when going over light uneven ground. It's nothing to do with the turning.  It's fine over ramps etc. 

On 1/28/2022 at 8:47 AM, Parts-King said:

I suspect what your man means is the steering knuckle, 45221 or wear in 45260 (the universal joint) 

knuckle.jpg

This is fantastic. Thank you for this. As my mechanic can't seem to explain the part he needs me to get him ffs. I will show him this. Brilliant thank you so much.

On 1/28/2022 at 8:30 AM, furtula said:

Hi,

It's more of a rattle but at high and low speeds. It's more apparent at slower speeds but it depends on the surface of the road not the ground. Theres no clicking when turning the wheel but it does click when stationary and you turn steering wheel from side to side.

20 hours ago, Johnmmmmmmmmmmm said:

Hi,

It's more of a rattle but at high and low speeds. It's more apparent at slower speeds but it depends on the surface of the road not the ground. Theres no clicking when turning the wheel but it does click when stationary and you turn steering wheel from side to side.

Did he check the track rod ends and roll bar links? I'm sure he know his business, it's just that those things normally wear out before the steering column joints on most cars.

Hi, I'd like to think he did. He replaced the P/s/f arm which took him an age to get off. It's improved it but still o also think coming from the steering rack now.

• Like 1

45221 on the diagram is somewhere that can rattle, sometimes the pinch bolt comes loose and the splines wear causing the rattle you mention, it can mean 45221 or both items need replacing. It needs an inspection of those splines at a minimum 

• Like 1

Well thanks to all your help folks and thanks to the poster posted up the diagram. I was able to show mechanic the diagram of exactly what he needed then go to scrapyard and then show them that. The catch was that the scrapyards in northern Ireland are useless and incapable of talking in any language over the phone even when you go down to see them they are incapable of getting you the part. In the end I got a knuckle very easily from Manchester shipped over to me. And fingers crossed Part 45260 as was the part the mechanic asked me to get sorts my problem.

I drove the car long distances and theres a slight rattle from steering at high speeds. The man in scrapyard said this is common on the Aurius supposedly. So maybe this thread can help other members. 

I will update when/ if I get the part fitted.

The screw needs to be tightened. It did me too, now it's ok.

***update*** he put the new knuckle on and no rattle...but.....car still pulling to left and steering wheel off to the left....he forgot to do the alignment ffs.....how professional so I've to being back again tomorrow. Absolute shambles but I suppose better than mechanic number 1 who said he couldn't find any rattles. I guess one day I will laugh at this.

If you can get the car on a 4-wheel alignment rack most places have the Jim Bean or Hunter setups, it makes a night and day difference

I knew someone down in Roscommon, most mechanics specialized in tractors and heavy plant and are lost on cars

edit. had a re-read sounds like he has the shaft/UJ out by a few splines

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

edit. had a re-read sounds like he has the shaft/UJ out by a few splines

And something else besides, since it's pulling. Was an alignment done after the control arm was changed? It should have been.

1 hour ago, Red_Corolla said:

And something else besides, since it's pulling. Was an alignment done after the control arm was changed? It should have been.

No he didn't do the alignment after the arm was changed. He said he would do it when I got him the knuckle. ..then he's forgotten to do it. As I say the steering wheel itself is off to the left even I. A straight line and it's pulling to the left. So im hoping it's just the alignment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnmmmmmmmmmmm said:

No he didn't do the alignment after the arm was changed. He said he would do it when I got him the knuckle. ..then he's forgotten to do it. As I say the steering wheel itself is off to the left even I. A straight line and it's pulling to the left. So im hoping it's just the alignment. 

The alignment can cause both problems (the pulling and the wheel being off centre) BUT if the wheel only became off-centre since he replaced the column joint then it sounds like the joint was connected up in the wrong position like Bob said.

• Like 1

Well update...he did the alignment and the steering wheel is now centered and it's much better but of course there's still a slight pull to the left. I will blow up the tyres aswell. He said I've two broken springs now. Even though last time I went he said they where fine but probably need replaced in the future. I get the impression he throwing parts at the car which is concerning. The rattle is gone but still a very slight pull but I can live with it until MOT. 

Thanks for all the help folks.

If you have two broken springs, they should have been replaced before any kind of alignment was attempted.

• Like 1

Well, not that hard to actually check the springs, and see for yourself if they are broken or not. Don't always trust other people, especially if you suspect he's not really telling the truth.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links