Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Charging PHEV via Hive app

George Dodds

I’m just starting to charge my RAV4 Phev using the HIVE app (0030-0430 cheap Octopus GO rate)  Does anyone know if there is any need to set the MyToyota app to mirror the HIVE times?  Or does the HIVE app act independently of the MyToyota app. 

Any tips appreciated, thanks. 

Sorry George - haven't used the Hive app. for programming. Just habit I use the MyT app.

1 hour ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Sorry George - haven't used the Hive app. for programming. Just habit I use the MyT app.

Hi. Thanks for the info, good to know it works. 

I have not even found how to set a charge schedule. I can choose eco on the hive app which only allows charging from 00:00-08:00.  

The Toyota App is frustrating that you can’t put multi day schedule so it’s inappropriate for my needs. 

To go off topic a bit the schedule for the cabin heating is also very random if it starts or not plugged or unplugged. Not sure how the outside temperature effects it but if it’s low it don’t turn on and we have to manually turn it on.  

@George Dodds unless it is different to most other chargers, the schedule is just like a time switch so it only supplies power between the set times, nothing more "intelligent" than that. It's best not to set schedules on both or you can end up with the charger supplying power and the car not accepting it unless they match exactly.

I prefer to use the charger schedule, only because it means in the unlikely event someone pulled on the drive while I wasn't there, they couldn't get any of my juice, saves having to lock/unlock it.

@R4VA_K It's daft you can't set a reoccurring schedule in the MyT app but you can do this if you set it up in the car via the MID.

13 hours ago, George Dodds said:

Any tips appreciated

Whilst I don't yet have my phev or hive charger yet, just a thought about perspective when thinking about these things might help (and apologies if well aware of this) - despite being referred to as "smart charger" etc, this is an inaccurate description. In most use-cases these wallboxes are no smarter than the average WiFi-enabled plug socket, plus the charger bit is actually inside the vehicle.

It's best to think of them a high amp/power plug sockets. The apps to control them are glorified timers and little more. Some of them say they "sync" with your car +/- your energy tariff, but from experience with my leaf, that simply means that the app uses your login details to silently log into the manufacturer app/system to check the state of charge.

If there is a charge timer on the vehicle itself, this will override whatever you tell the wallbox app, ie if wallbox says charge 0030-0430 & car says 0430-0830, it will not charge. I would think they either need to mirror one another, or turn off any charge timer on the car and just use the box (most cars' default setting will be to accept a charge, ie plugging into a public charger - vehicle doesn't know where electricity is coming from, only that it has a live connection). 

14 minutes ago, nlee said:

@George Dodds unless it is different to most other chargers, the schedule is just like a time switch so it only supplies power between the set times, nothing more "intelligent" than that. It's best not to set schedules on both or you can end up with the charger supplying power and the car not accepting it unless they match exactly.

I prefer to use the charger schedule, only because it means in the unlikely event someone pulled on the drive while I wasn't there, they couldn't get any of my juice, saves having to lock/unlock it.

@R4VA_K It's daft you can't set a reoccurring schedule in the MyT app but you can do this if you set it up in the car via the MID.

I started typing then got distracted and nlee beat me to it! 😂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links