Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV 13A Cable Size

Bcc212

Hi guys,

In anticipation for delivery next month, I’m looking to enclose my charging lead in a weatherproof box on the side of my garage for ease of use when required. 

Coiled, including the plug(s) and module, what kind of size am I looking at? I was hoping a 30cm by 20cm enclosure would do it. But frankly have no idea how big it might all be! 

Cheers!

Also… 

How long is the cable between the 13A plug and the module? 

Thanks again! 

I haven’t measured it, but I think your limiting factor will be the transformer box thing in the cable. It’s fairly long. I can measure it later, but someone else will probably beat me to it. It might fit on the diagonal tho…?

just to clarify - are you intending the cable to be plugged into a socket within this (presumably lockable?) weatherproof enclosure? Or is this just convenient storage nearby to where the car/socket will be? I ask because if you already have a separate weatherproof external plug socket, the cable is weatherproof, so you could plug it in, lock the socket box with a padlock, then use something like a hose reel organiser to loop the rest of it relatively neatly. The type 2 end of the cable has a rubber cap to prevent water ingress.

You can also buy a plastic holster thing to clip the type 2 “nozzle” (the noun for this bit of the cable is frustratingly escaping me right now) into - is very convenient from experience. Many of them are designed in a way so the cable can also be cooled over/around them. (Depending on aesthetics and/or how much clearance for anyone walking past, looking for one which angles the nozzle down rather than directly out at 90 degrees is a good idea too)

I used these (with a weatherproof lockable socket) for a while until I got a full charger installed:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B097LVKL85?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image#

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B097Z9GWVH?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

Thanks for your reply Mike. 

I’m likely going to run the domestic plug side through the garage door and then have the transformer/module/brick and type 2 socket in the enclosure to make it easier to store and keep safe for the long term. 

I must say I like the idea of just mounting it on a tidy and plugging the socket into a blanking adapter. Although I’d prefer it locked away.

7.5mtrs long.  The OEM cable is very thick in comparison to the Masterplug one I bought at 10mtrs long.  I use a Masterplug weatherproof box with 16A breaker and surge device fitted, coil the cable around a wall fixed hoop and have padlocked the cable to an eye bolt fixed to the wall.

3 hours ago, ernieb said:

7.5mtrs long.  The OEM cable is very thick in comparison to the Masterplug one I bought at 10mtrs long.  I use a Masterplug weatherproof box with 16A breaker and surge device fitted, coil the cable around a wall fixed hoop and have padlocked the cable to an eye bolt fixed to the wall.

I think this seems to be the best idea. If I padlock the weatherproof socket it adds a little protection I suppose! 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links