Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

December 2021, Touring Sports, Tail Gate hinge plate, corrosion, get checking !

Kooikerboy

46 minutes ago, Popama said:

I had not noticed this before. I would have thought the additional layer is from the GR trim wrap. Thank you for the tip!

I thought the same but it is actually on all cars even those that comes as one colour only. Here a Corolla 2023 hatchback design in blue 

image.thumb.png.28f42f0a851ec0b3a59564bb96536fff.png

• 1 month later...

I picked up the car last week and found these fixes on a German forum in the meantime so I expected a similar correction:

German_after.jpeg

German_before.jpeg

• Like 1

Unfortunately the said this was their first (:surprise:) unit with this issue and they only cleaned and applied a Teflon coating before repainting:

repaint.jpeg

repaint_water.jpeg

As you can see there was already water accumulating there after just couple of hours since it was pulled from the shop waiting for me to pick it up.
I added enough Vaseline on the base of the hinge in the hope that water will no longer get to sit in the area:

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-13 at 15.38.32 (6).jpeg

Both hinges in our car are starting to develop rust, we've already spoke with the dealer and hopefully they can process our warranty claim at the same they repair the extensive hail damage from our car. Finally they have given us an appointment for the hail damage repair, which in theory is going to take only one week to conclude; just the bonnet needs to be painted, but the damage was so extensive on this panel, that it was easier to order a new bonnet...

When I talked with the dealer about the warranty claim about rust, they immediately started to name some things: Rear brakes? Rear bumper mountain points? Hinges of the tailgate?

🙃

All pretty known issues with the Corolla...

• Like 1

Any suggestions on what can be done to prevent water from accumulating around the hinges or seal the area around the hinges?
right.thumb.png.d0f68e5c227cde6abaa00efa73bb33ee.pngleft.thumb.png.5ba06ec7f6539260026cbd40604f585e.png

Checked mine (2019 HB) today and the only thing around the base of my hinges is dust and dry dirt (possibly the only dry dirt in the country right now, lol). But there's no sign that water ever gets anywhere near the hinges.

Admittedly my car lives in a garage and doesn't go out in the rain very often and but it's been unavoidable this year.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, My car is exposed to all kinds of weather throughout the year since I don't have a garage. I've observed that water tends to accumulate mainly on the side of the hinges, where it remains. I want to take steps to protect it before corrosion begins.

image.jpeg

13 hours ago, Daniel815 said:

Unfortunately, My car is exposed to all kinds of weather throughout the year since I don't have a garage. I've observed that water tends to accumulate mainly on the side of the hinges, where it remains. I want to take steps to protect it before corrosion begins.

image.jpeg

Hi, 

the problem with rust on hinges I believe is from inside, under the paint. Perhaps a manufacturing process fault or materials used for insulation or lack of them. Something that we can see has been reworked since 2022 and all new cars comes out with extra padding.
You can add some silicone sealant or silicone grease or anti corrosion treatment around the hinge , just make sure you clean and dry properly all around before you apply.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links