Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water getting in through passenger door seal (despite being changed)

Max333

Hi there, 

I've been having problems with water leaking through the passenger side door of my 3 door 2014 Aygo after finding a puddle of standing water in the rear passenger footwell.

I have taken the Aygo to the dealer on three occasions and they keep telling me the leak is from the boot and have replaced the light gaskets, top brake light and boot door seal (none of which I believe were causing water to accumulate in the rear passenger footwell).

I have since identified that the water appears to be coming in and over the passenger door seal, and have since replaced this. However, water is still coming in from the same spot (pictures attached).

Are there any known causes of water ingress at this point? My driveway is sloped and I wonder if this is what is causing the problem.

I am reluctant to go back to the dealer as I have already given them a lot of money and they seem unable to find a leak in the passenger door seal, despite me specifically telling them to look there, and there being an obvious trail when I check on my car after sitting on the driveway in rain.

Any words of advice would be much appreciated. Could simply some silicone spray work? 

20220330_102635.jpg

20220316_213236.jpg

37 minutes ago, Max333 said:

Are there any known causes of water ingress at this point? 

When I had water coming over the front door seal on my Mk1 the cause was cracks in the waterproof membrane behind the door trim, repairing the membrane with waterproof tape solved the problem for me.

I don’t think that rubber should have water in the middle of it in the first place, the two parts should be squashed tightly against each other and the door to keep water out.  Check the door alignment and see if you can figure out how the water gets in.  Another possibility is water draining out the holes in the bottom of the door and sitting in an unusual place cos of your driveway angle - check the drains aren’t blocked and that the water has a clear path to run out.

The sill that the seal strip is following looks warped to me? Possibly seatbelt has been shut in the door a few times?

I would do as Petrol Dave has suggested having the door card removed and check the membrane behind it for damage or leaks where the adhesive may have failed and needs to be resealed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stecha said:

I put these on mine

Looks like a useful fix.

4 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

When I had water coming over the front door seal on my Mk1 the cause was cracks in the waterproof membrane behind the door trim, repairing the membrane with waterproof tape solved the problem for me.

Many thanks for your response! I have taken the door panel off and it as you describe, water is coming in through a gap between the white membrane and the door (picture attached)

What waterproof tape would you recommend? Duct tape or either of the below?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/self-amalgamating-rubber-tape-black-3m-x-25mm/2115V?tc=OA1&ds_kid=92700058168036995&ds_rl=1249416&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_4-SBhCgARIsAAlegrUHZCjJ22PG-rJ0vQnX5qHJ0XX78br0ilO4AY_fpoFpSUw4lyENnEcaAiMSEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-and-body-repair/adhesives/fixx-it-silicone-tape-708947.html

20220330_155315.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Max333 said:

Many thanks for your response! I have taken the door panel off and it as you describe, water is coming in through a gap between the white membrane and the door (picture attached)

What waterproof tape would you recommend? Duct tape or either of the below?

I used duct tape.

BTW if the problem was blocked drain holes in the bottom of the door the water would appear outside the door seal, so water on top off or only inside the door seal is diagnostic of the membrane in the door.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links