Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

That 12v battery (again!)

AlJ

7 hours ago, Derek.w said:

a lot of nightime driving 

What's the difference between nightime driving and daytime driving? 😛

8 minutes ago, hind said:

What's the difference between nightime driving and daytime driving? 😛

Headlights on

• Haha 1

If you are driving and the hybrid Battery is charging the 12v it doesn't matter what time of day.

There's a lot of over worry about this.

Just make sure that over a fortnight you get a good block of Ready time.  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

If you are driving and the hybrid battery is charging the 12v it doesn't matter what time of day.... 

Not true, the system stops charging and just keeps the voltage at about 12.8V-13.0V

1 hour ago, Dala said:

Not true, the system stops charging and just keeps the voltage at about 12.8V-13.0V

And ?

That must be as Toyota intended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dala said:

As every single car in the world does, charging is dynamic. 

Yes, annoyingly we do need to be mindful of the amount of time we keep our cars in Ready but it's not a serious proposition to say you can't drive your hybrid at night.

• Like 1

Well if any of the Yaris or Cross range had ventilated seats I’d have one in a heartbeat and this Battery problem that there is so much panic about doesn’t register on the give a sh** scale.   I watched a news clip on Fords that routinely catch fire and Ford do their level best to walk away.   We’ve yet to see how the French and German hybrids fair but the reputation excludes them from my hit list.   This can be fixed with a different Battery if it comes to it but some choose to walk elsewhere which is never cheaper than £75 so good luck.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Any news of the Lexus LBX on order Don ?

9 minutes ago, Countryside said:

Any news of the Lexus LBX on order Don ?

Some news.  There are 2500 at sea and a further 2500 waiting for a ship and we got a date of 3rd April but I think they’re going around Africa while the loonies are shooting at ships so that could slip.  

• Like 1

Just looked at the Lexus Battery.  It isn’t much different given it’s a 2.0 litre drive train and all the bells and whistles. It is a Yuasa so I expect LBX to have the same.  The name is under the clamp hence the extreme camera angle!

IMG_0263.jpeg

IMG_0262.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

That’s great news Don many thanks indeed 

12 hours ago, Andrew Harrison said:

Headlights on

Then its less charge going into the Battery so it takes longer to replace the charge used for starting up the computer systems, relays plus at night when you cannot turn the light off before you start up but this thing only applies to headlights with no off switch because its computer controlled.

On 2/15/2024 at 12:47 PM, mr_blibby said:

Hi... In the process of replacing my Arona and was about to press the button on the new Premiere version, but being put off by all the battery issues ... dont do many long runs and prob less than 5k a year, so could be an issue for me ...  

I found these videos useful in explaining the issue if not already been posted

Have you noticed the Battery cell on the right a lot of lead has disappered  from that cell  structure!.

5 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Have you noticed the battery cell on the right a lot of lead has disappered  from that cell  structure!.

Blimey. You have eyes like a hawk 😀

today's charging with CTEK

image.thumb.png.e3b38491a7ad8018b6ed969173130c12.png

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 2:39 PM, Chas G said:

@mr_blibby aha. I think I read your post on the toyota.co.uk forum.

I would look for something other than a hybrid unless you have a garage and are happy to plug in every night to a charger like I do and are prepared to book holiday flights from an airport within a taxi ride of where you live.

Lots of time on the road and a toyota hybrid is an excellent choice.

Short journeys + low mileage = flat 12 volt battery.

Ps I had a toyota yaris D4D which was amazingly economical on fuel.

Fortunate enough to have another car (PHEV) I can use for the airport run. Ironically was attracted to Toyota as I thought this may be the last new car I buy and wanted to get something very reliable that would last 10 years at c5000 miles a year but with quite a lot of short runs, so its prob not the car for me as it stands at the moment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mr_blibby said:

c5000 miles a year but with quite a lot of short runs

That is not a bad profile and probably equivalent in terms of time as 10 000 miles longer distance higher speed driving will give not dissimilar time on Ready mode.

5 hours ago, mr_blibby said:

Fortunate enough to have another car (PHEV) I can use for the airport run. Ironically was attracted to Toyota as I thought this may be the last new car I buy and wanted to get something very reliable that would last 10 years at c5000 miles a year but with quite a lot of short runs, so its prob not the car for me as it stands at the moment.

I bought my Yaris Cross to celebrate my 70th birthday for the same reasons. Thankfully I have a garage so can just plug the car in every time I come home. 

Thank you to whoever suggested running the Battery charger cable under the car back door. I had a look and the under door seal is very soft so not a problem to close the door on the cable.

It's so much easier than having to get in the car to lower the window and then get out to put the cable in and connect to the charger and then get back in the car to raise the window and turn the car off.

Ps if anyone wants an unused bm2 Battery monitor pm me and I will send it to you but uk only. 

20240216_183535.thumb.jpg.b392526e94ac3815b01a8824e94a93de.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chas G said:

Thank you to whoever suggested running the battery charger cable under the car back door. I had a look and the under door seal is very soft so not a problem to close the door on the cable.

😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, jthspace said:

😎

Thanks. Unbelievable how much easier it is.

I an testing a with a 20 watt solar panel a MPPT solar charge controler.

(its replacing dammaged factory fitted unit with 2 USB charging ports)

At night its takes from Battery about 0.7mA droping to 0.2ma

Charging today very cloudy higest charge 14.8mA lowest charge 2.3mA 

Yesterday a brighter sky at 12 oclock 80mA charge or 0.080Amps.

I do have trees & garages blocking out direct sunlight when it emerges from behind clouds so testing/setting up at the moment is caried out from a bedroom window.

MTTP controler factory set for 5Amps so you have to adjust it for your solar panel output and a voltage I picked a voltage of just under 14 volts as a starting point maybe I take it upto 14.2 volts if I can achive my selected voltage when I fit it in the car.

17 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

I an testing a with a 20 watt solar panel a MPPT solar charge controler.

(its replacing dammaged factory fitted unit with 2 USB charging ports)

At night its takes from battery about 0.7mA droping to 0.2ma

Charging today very cloudy higest charge 14.8mA lowest charge 2.3mA 

Yesterday a brighter sky at 12 oclock 80mA charge or 0.080Amps.

I do have trees & garages blocking out direct sunlight when it emerges from behind clouds so testing/setting up at the moment is caried out from a bedroom window.

MTTP controler factory set for 5Amps so you have to adjust it for your solar panel output and a voltage I picked a voltage of just under 14 volts as a starting point maybe I take it upto 14.2 volts if I can achive my selected voltage when I fit it in the car.

A 20W good solar panel will give 1.66A (20/12) at best.  80mA is a very small value for noon.  Are the values correct?

On 2/16/2024 at 7:36 PM, Derek.w said:

Have you noticed the battery cell on the right a lot of lead has disappered  from that cell  structure!.

The quality of the charging voltage and charging current is very important. A high current ripple
heats up the Battery which has an aging effect on the positive electrode.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dala said:

A 20W good solar panel will give 1.66A (20/12) at best.  80mA is a very small value for noon.  Are the values correct?

Values are correct just put it down to poor sunlight at the moment todays top value was 270mA

or if you prefer 0.27 amps.

My next step is to recalibrate MPPT max for max current but for this I need a sunny day so looking at Friday/Saterday at the moment befor I can recalibrate ampage going off next expected days with sunshine.

My calculations for 20 watt panel is 1.48A 20/13.5v

The good news it moved from charging mode blue light to maintance red & blue lights flashing & 13.5 volts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick update on my situation, as posted earlier a couple of weeks ago I couldn't start my 2022 Yaris Cross because of a flat Battery. The dealer tested and charged the Battery (and left me 2 days without a car) and told me that it is still in good condition. I have a solar panel charger that I plug in whenever I park my car at home (the front window faces SW) but that clearly was insufficient to maintain the charge.

I got a lead to connect the Battery to my motorbike Optimate battery charger, and the dealer kindly fitted that for me last week (it is a bit of a pain to have to hold up the seat with one hand and try to work the battery bolts with the other, so I asked them to fit it for me). So far so good.

Today I hooked up the battery to my charger (leading the lead out under the tailgate, good tip that). My Optimate charger, which also tests the battery, reported that it was very depleted (again) and is now re-charging it. This after a week where I went on a couple of trips of about 100 miles in total.

I think that this battery is on the way out. It really should not have discharged so much again in such a short time. I may try to get it replaced under warranty, but I'm sure that would mean another stay at the dealer for testing, another couple of walks up and down to them ( 30 mins each way) and another couple of days without the car - plus possibly some arguing that I can do without. I may not bother and get an independent garage to fit a replacement battery. 

Halfords advise a Yuasa HSB202 Silver for £113 inclusive of fitting. That has a 45Ah capacity. There is also a Malvern Tyres shop around the corner from me and I may drop in there to get their advise.

Has anyone here replaced their Yaris Cross battery, and what replacement did you get? Was it an improvement? Thanks!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links