Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Road Sign Assist on new vehicles

Andrew56

13 hours ago, Jimota said:

Nobody has mentioned the Grouse which is probably the most stupid bird in existence.  A number of years ago, during a lovely  New Years Day drive through the countryside of South Lanarkshire, I negotiated round a very tight bend in the road with an oncoming Land Rover in front of me.  In between the two vehicles there were a couple of Grouse messing about and rather than fly away, they flew directly onto my windscreen causing an almighty !Removed! mess.  My wife was really upset about the outcome and I had to steady her nerves on the return home by pouring ourselves a double Grouse whisky.

I’m train driving these days and my experience is that pheasants are the daftest.  It’s not uncommon to get several in the same day.   The first reaction to seeing a yellow warning board is “who’s this after my hens”, the second is to square up “I can fight this”, the next is maybe it’s a tad on the big side and the last is, “I think it might be a t….”

3DE2C76E-41E2-46CD-B6E9-1ED8A4187DE4.jpeg

• Haha 4

A few years back driving in the Peak district, narrow road.

Sheep stood on a ledge above the road, in no danger at all.

I looked at it.

It looked at me.

I thought "it's going to jump"

And it did.  Jumped, nutted the side of the car.

As I looked back I could see it walking happily across the road and start munching the grass.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yugguy1970 said:

A few years back driving in the Peak district, narrow road.

Sheep stood on a ledge above the road, in no danger at all.

I looked at it.

It looked at me.

I thought "it's going to jump"

And it did.  Jumped, nutted the side of the car.

As I looked back I could see it walking happily across the road and start munching the grass.

I’m told we’re getting gas and electric in our settlement.  Hopefully the womenfolk will be easier to see with street lights.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The avian folk in London are very smart; they'll move just enough that you avoid them. Apparently the pigeons have learned how the Tube and busses work and will freeload on them to get to where they want to go instead of flyingI

Hmm, it's a bit sad if pigeons have better sign recognition than our cars...!

• Like 2

So Cyker, what road sign is this?  Answer below…..

Uneven road surface after your camera was fitted upside down.

CFF6706A-5FC8-4908-9D6F-3A56F6336C67.jpeg

• Haha 3

No no, the camera's the right way up... so a funny story, there was this ditch...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ahahaaa and there's the other shoe dropping - The service tech just tried to charge me an extra £160 to calibrate the ADAS despite me already getting that rolled into the original quote!

This is why you get things in writing and bring a copy with you!

• Like 3

I’m no expert on Grouse or any other bird for that matter, but they do seem to have this idiotic urge to run or fly towards danger rather than going in the opposite direction.

• Like 4

Maybe they still think they are dinosaurs! :laugh: 

• Haha 2

Many years ago driving a Vauxhall midi van a pheasant flew up and hit the front left panel, completely stoved  it in, what a mess, I think the pheasant ended up over the hedge, fodder for the local foxes, a few years ago I was driving into a car park, in front was a pigeon happily eating some tasty morsel, as the van I was driving was a diesel, I thought the bird would hear my approach, sadly no, one squashed pigeon, maybe it was deaf..?👂

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cyker said:

Ahahaaa and there's the other shoe dropping - The service tech just tried to charge me an extra £160 to calibrate the ADAS despite me already getting that rolled into the original quote!

This is why you get things in writing and bring a copy with you!

ADAS?

• Like 1

I think it stands for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems but basically the auto emergency braking, the lane keeping and lane following, all that sort of thing.

Because the sensor pod is stuck to the windscreen, the window fitters have to pry it off and stick it to the new one, but it won't be in the exact place so it has to be recalibrated so e.g. it knows where the middle of the road is properly and doesn't steer me into a lamp post or emergency brake too late or something :laugh: 

• Like 2

Can it distinguish between grouse, pheasant, sheep, headphone wearing phone staring teenagers and other suicidal creatures?

• Haha 3

It's not quite that advanced apparently...

Travelled on a busy dual carriageway today which has a 30mph limit and a series of average speed cameras in either direction.  My RSA did not recognise this stretch of road which is quite alarming as the speed cameras have been there for at least 5 years.  As I said before, I only look at the RSA out of curiosity now and again and would never rely on it to monitor speed limits in general.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I regularly get those too!! :laugh:  It's even worse since my system is set to mph!!

Well done getting a picture of it tho!

16 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah I regularly get those too!! :laugh:  It's even worse since my system is set to mph!!

Well done getting a picture of it tho!

I found it on tinternet  😉

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links