Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery low charge

frazthewise

On 6/13/2022 at 2:36 PM, frazthewise said:

The car was warm and the engine revs remained at 1000rpm, even going down hill? I have done a number of short journey recently. Put the battery on charge at 10am this morning, still charging at 3.30pm, so battery charge must have been low?

There are a few warm-up stages the car has to go through.

There's an idling check ceremony it'll insist on going through (translated from the original Japanese), even if it has skipped some of the warm up stages. My best understanding is that it's for calibrating the emissions sensors/making sure that the cat is performing properly. On older cars, the car had to be stopped, now it just does it when coasting.

The idling check ceremony will only take place once the coolant has reached the right temperature and the car is coasting for a few seconds below a maximum speed.

I can do most of my high-speed commute without triggering the idling check ceremony if there are no stops/coasting at the right speed.

• Thanks 1

For the first time I was able to set off from home today on just MG2! As soon as I got to the main road and accelerated enough to push the power bar into Eco+ the engine started and went through the usual stages. Usually the engine starts right away and goes through the stages, so I guess the very warm morning was enough to hold it off temporarily!

1 hour ago, Stivino said:

I hope that's not your main source of information; I don't know where that article gets its data from but it is just plain wrong.

Even the article Tony linked to mentions supports this ("The maximum temperature of exhaust gases in GDI is almost two times higher (which radically simplifies regeneration without various tricks necessary for diesels).").

I did a quick Google as you suggested and indeed, your article is the first one that appears, and weirdly several copy-pasted versions of the same article. I assume some SEO trickey is afoot!

But since we're playing the pointless-argument-on-the-internet game, here's some opposing links!

https://www.quora.com/For-a-gasoline-engine-and-a-diesel-engine-of-the-same-power-whose-exhaust-is-hotter

https://www.turbocharger.mtee.eu/gasoline-versus-diesel-turbo/

https://www.exploroz.com/forum/72995/exhaust-temperatures---petrol-vs-diesel

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've managed to get out onto my main road entirely on electric a couple of times this week. It's not something I could do if anyone was behind me but I have the week off and roads are quiet.

Dash is currently showing 64.7. I was going to fill up today but the queues were too long.

• Like 1

It is surprisingly hard to keep the level of acceleration low enough to keep it in EV-only first thing in the morning - I find as the speed increases, I have to back off the pedal to maintain the same slow acceleration. If I hold the pedal in the same position the power bar creeps up as the car picks up speed and the engine fires up and the car goes through the whole sequence, even if you then let go of the accelerator.

• Like 2

But you guys keep the hvac fan off right? Otherwise the engine will start immediately after ignition is ON. 

Yeah, stabbing the Off button frantically to try and catch it before it starts the engine! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

But you guys keep the hvac fan off right? Otherwise the engine will start immediately after ignition is ON. 

No, I have HVAC set to Auto and 19.5c. It does what it needs to and I ignore it. My car is kept in a garage though so doesn't normally need to run the A/C immediately.

I played golf this morning and it was 3pm before I got back in the car. The ICE didn't start up until I was out of the car park and gave it a poke. HVAC did however since the interior was well above 19.5c.

My experience is that HVAC has nothing to do with it. During the summer the ICE won't start until/unless the Battery is exhausted or I ask for too much power.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AndrueC said:

I've managed to get out onto my main road entirely on electric a couple of times this week. It's not something I could do if anyone was behind me but I have the week off and roads are quiet.

Dash is currently showing 64.7. I was going to fill up today but the queues were too long.

Switching off the fan delays the inevitable.  Today, out of the garage to the post van, 62.9, 9 mph, 2.2 miles.  Back was 41.5, 17 mph, 3/4 mile.  The kicker is the hill back. 

As for filling up, round here it depends very much on what you're buying.  Two Shell stations no one there but at £1.90 I think the supermarkets were much cheaper. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Switching off the fan delays the inevitable.

Ah, yes, I can see that. I was just surprised that other owners felt they had to do it to in order to get any EV running from start up. For me if the car thinks it's 16c or higher it won't use the ICE until it really has to.

On 6/13/2022 at 12:11 PM, frazthewise said:

I have noticed,has anyone else, when the small battery has been left standing for a while, when driving the car ticks over at 1000 rpm min to charge the battery and does run on hybrid battery for some miles,? Would be sensible to charge the starter battery to reduce fuel consumption?

Just let the car computer do it’s job and you will get good economy, keep the car serviced on time with quality oil and filters as recommended and you will get longevity.  Just relax and enjoy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Catlover said:

Just let the car computer do it’s job and you will get good economy, keep the car serviced on time with quality oil and filters as recommended and you will get longevity.  Just relax and enjoy.

How's Skoda? 😎

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

How's Skoda? 😎

In an about turn my lease Skoda is being picked up on Tuesday in readiness you my Corolla arriving!!

On 6/16/2022 at 1:07 PM, Roy124 said:

How's Skoda? 😎

Our 2 CitiGo’s are doing very well. They are not Toyota hybrid cars, they are different, but we have got used to them quickly. 3 cylinder engines, mine has a massive 75bhp engine (😊) which is 15bhp less than the wifes. The Gen4 Prius is the best car I ever owned, and probably be the best I will have ever owned. We just done 4 days hol in North Yorkshire, and I reckon the Prius would have done at least 15mpg more, but it would have been a bit tight on some of the roads we were on when a car came towards us. We chose to change and not regretted the move at all. Just a different time of life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Mk1 Yaris only had 74hp and that was plenty! :laugh: (It was a diesel tho'...)

The Up/CitiGo/Mii's are really fun to drive tho' - Can take a bit of a run up but you can really throw them round corners :laugh: 

Not so nice on the motorway, but great fun on scenic back roads! :thumbsup:

On 6/17/2022 at 6:26 PM, Catlover said:

Our 2 CitiGo’s are doing very well. They are not Toyota hybrid cars, they are different, but we have got used to them quickly. 3 cylinder engines, mine has a massive 75bhp engine (😊) which is 15bhp less than the wifes. The Gen4 Prius is the best car I ever owned, and probably be the best I will have ever owned. We just done 4 days hol in North Yorkshire, and I reckon the Prius would have done at least 15mpg more, but it would have been a bit tight on some of the roads we were on when a car came towards us. We chose to change and not regretted the move at all. Just a different time of life.

The wife has the Turbo one then!!  We used to have a 75hp Seat Mii and found it a fine 2nd car, much more space than the daughter's 108 (2016 Aygo clone), perhaps as much rear legroom as the Yaris mk4

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kental said:

The wife has the Turbo one then!!  We used to have a 75hp Seat Mii and found it a fine 2nd car, much more space than the daughter's 108 (2016 Aygo clone), perhaps as much rear legroom as the Yaris mk4

Your right, the 90bhp is the TSi and is turbo.  However I did a typo, and it should have been the wife’s is 15bhp LESS.  IF it had been a TSi it would have been mine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

Your right, the 90bhp is the TSi and is turbo.  However I did a typo, and it should have been the wife’s is 15bhp LESS.  IF it had been a TSi it would have been mine!

We had a 75bhp one and regularly got 60 bhp ones as loan cars etc.  The difference was not really noticeable until above 50mph or so.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links