Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Not As Good?

pedro

is there a feeling in the u.k. and europe that the avensis is not as good a car as it,s predecessor the carina?theese cars are very popular with taxi drivers but a lot of them seem to be getting very accquainted with the recovery trucks,while the carinas seem to go on and on.

Having owned a carinna executive for 5 years, and then driven an Avensis, the feel of the Avensis is so lightweight by comparison. Does not feel as solid as the carina and feels more flimsy inside.

Another point is that the 2 ltr engine I have is Japanese made, compared to the 1.8 british built engine which is standard in the Avensis

Have not driven an Avensis, but my Carina's just had its 10th birthday, and has done 120k, and still runs sweet as a nut. Nothing's ever gone wrong with it. Apart from the *original* Battery dying after ~8 years, and the Flasher Unit B)

I have had 2 carina E's & now own an Avensis 1.8 VVT-I.

I do feel that the Avensis is a better car all round than the Carina & has improved styling.

Build quality does not seem to be as good as Carina, the Avensis tends to develop squeaks & rattles over time.

Durability should not be a problem, a friend of mine has 1.8 R Reg Avensis, which has done 140k & has only had normal wear & tear repairs carried out.

I hope my VVT-I engine is a durable as 7E-FE engines that were fitted in early Avensis, up to now I have had no complaints!

I think the key is regular maintenance ( servicing every 8-9000 miles ). Should not be a problem if these are carried out.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to agree with the overall opnion. I had a Carina 2 hatchback which was damaged beyond repair when I was hit by a drunk driver - the Police reckoned the car probably saved me from even worst injuries than I had. I now have an Avensis Estate 2.0 GLS Automatic which may well have lots more safety kit but feels much more flimsy and, frankly, not as well put together. I've just looked at the New Avensis which does seem to be several quality rungs higher - but have you seen those low profile tyres - you can guess what sort of ride you'll get. My present Avensis also suffers more sqeaks and general thumps and rattles - again I think the suspension is too stiff and allows too much road shock to transmit into the car, or perhaps I'm getting old!!

im going t a new avensis release at a german dealers tommorow will let you all know

new avensis that came out month ago is awesome car (sedan and wagon), it is very nicelty built, with really, really high quality interior... for what is worth, it is definetly next generation car in its class, there is nothing to compare it with

i have been with around 50-60 customers who simply loved the car, there is not one person who did not like it that i know of (sedan version which we have in the showroom)

i never liked old avensis at all, and this new one is much better car in every category.

toyota have had to raise their game, so the new Avensis should be worthy of the makers of Lexus ;)

Looking at JD Power results & Avensis came a commendable 16th against all other models. If you consider it's now 4/5 years old, it still outscores newer/fresher models!

I owned a Focus before my Avensis & would not swap back for anything ( alright a new Avensis I would )!

Yes, the Avensis does have some minor Rattles etc, but the cabin is so quiet you will pick up any minor issues.

Anyway, I bought mine for the excellent power train, first class reliabilty & good residual values.

from my research i get the impression that the old avensis, while being a popular car, is a considered a pretty dull one (no offence intended to anyone, btw! :) and has captured the market of "reps and taxi drivers" like other dull cars such as the vectra, mondeo etc.. Hopefully the new Avensis will put that straight considering it looks more exciting and curvy - more like a passat or A6. In fact it's a shame Toyota actually kept the name for this new beast IMO.

PS:

site admins: your picture of the new Avensis on the front page of this site does it no justice at all. Has the piccy been squashed horizontally in any way? i have seen (and driven) this car and it looks nothing like the picture - even from that angle. The pic makes it look like the bonnet is about a foot long!! :D :

People say Avensis, but there is the '98 to '00 and '00 to '03 model, or you can commonly refer to 'early' and 'later' models. I think they are 2 different cars. The later model has much better suspension settings and engines, later models come with VVTi petrol or D4D diesel.

I've compared early 7A-FE 1.8 Avensis and 1ZZ-FE 1.8 Avensis, the latter is much better to drive, although the fuel consumption wise, the former is slightly better.

I agree that the early model is flimsy but the later model is solid and assuring.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links