Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

NEXTBASE 380GW dashcam

Redcar2

The camera provides good pictures but during hot weather the mounting adhesive can come away from the screen and after this happened recently

I put the camera in its case and when the temperature had dropped a little I took it out and noticed the Battery cover had become detached.

Looking at the Battery I could see it had expanded and could not fit the camera. The photos below show the Battery. It does not compress to the original size.

Has anyone else had this problem?   Are there temperature limits for the battery ?

I know I must by a new battery and if there is any hints it would be good.  

Redcar2

IMG_20220721_182517_5.jpg

IMG_20220721_182414_8.jpg

IMG_20220721_182916_9.jpg

IMG_20220721_182955_5.jpg

Looks like it might be the heat though it might be a faulty Battery.  

I suggest you contact Nextbase.  Send them a picture of both sides of the Battery together with purchase details.  They may replace the Battery FOC. 

Could buy a reflective screen cover, external fir, to help keep the inside of car cooler. Helps protect all the other surfaces as well as the Dashcam. Some can be used in the winter to prevent frost on windscreen and also loose snow can easily be brushed off. You can pay £4 at Aldi/Lidl or, if you prefer, you can pay circa £20 at posher shops. 

• Like 1

Any lithium Battery which has swollen like that is no longer usable, and should be replaced. Fire hazard, too.

• Like 2

Yup, that cell is toast; See if they'll replace it otherwise it's eBay time!

This is why I prefer e.g.the Viofo cameras - The use capacitors instead so are much more heat resistant. I've never thought lithium cells were a good idea with dashcams as they will easily exceed the safe operating temperature of a lithium cell in direct sunlight in high summer.

• Like 2

Dont be suprised if you habe to teturn the complete package with proof of purchase for Dashcam.

Using there return numbers as refrance.

• Like 1

I never had this issue with mine. The mount broke after 5 months and I sent them a photo. A couple of days later a replacement arrived FOC. No question as to when or where I had bought it. 

Although saying this, as it is a Battery issue, they may want more details.

• Like 1

I like the Viofo cameras, too. Good image quality, and the supercap instead of a lithium.

Nextbase have a pretty good reputation, too.

The Battery issue was very common with Nextbase, esp. in very hot weather, and the source of their reputation for bad customer support in the early days, as they were refusing to replace the Battery under warranty (Presumably because of the sheer volume of failures!)

They seem to have gotten a lid on that now, as I've been seeing a lot more praise for their post-sales support than complaints in more recent times so hopefully they will replace it!

• Like 1

It depends on if the service suport team thinks the issue is with the charging rate is excessive so a new Battery replacment Battery will just fail again!.

But, if the service team see this as an issue with the charging rate, wouldn't that be a design fault on their side?? If that is the case, then it should definitely be replaced under warranty ??

These replies have been most reassuring.  At least the problem is not unknown to Toyota owners.

Following your suggestions I have emailed Nextbase with the photographs as you suggested.

The Battery had pushed off the Battery cover on the camera.

Thank you all for replying , and so quickly, to my query, it is appreciated.

I will re-post when I have good news from Nextbase.

Richard

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links