Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

IQ Tonneau Cover +

Gormless

Hi there..

Only just got my IQ after a few years of owning a Smart Car..Shocked, IQ so much better in almost every way thus far..

My car has been through some battles and I'm hoping to get it back to how it should be..

It's white so of course it has the awful paint, or lack of paint in various areas, which I'm not too stressed about. I plan to sort that out before the winter sets in. 

It is though missing the Tonneau Cover. It's also missing a small "snap into place" panel section right at the passenger knee height..Toyota quoted me £140 to purchse said item, plus the surrounding panel it goes into..

Its next to the Glove Box / Folder on the left as you sit in the passenger seat..Doesnt look too nice as it exposes part of the wiring loom...Would be nice if I can sort out the items...Looks horrible having wiring exposed, and I cant leave anything really in the boot as it'd be on display for any passer by..

Would much appreciate any help in sourcing the parts..

There are other things I'll be chasing soon, wheels look a bit grotty and I'll be needing both rear headrests as they too are awol lol..

The glove box/folder is around £140, iirc the small cover is for the fuse box there are a few different colours - I can look that up shortly

The luggage cover was optional on some models

White paint is a known issue on the IQ and Prius, it needs the correct sealer/primer - it's the primer that doesn't bond to the anti corrosion coating on the body

If it's the IQ Auto, yes it's a vast improvement over the Smart

WOW...Thanks Bob..Was going to try and make a cover for the "Fuse Box" access area with gawd knows what and end up spraying it brown and hoping for the best lol...Think, now I know exactly what its called and looks like, I'll see if I can buy one...Yep, £30 does seem somewhat keen..Didnt realise that there were other colours, thought all were brown lol..

I have been all over the car searching for missing bits, sadly all gone including headrests...Toyota quoted me, with a straight face I might add, £375 EACH for the headrests...OUCH, followed by a NO lol..

My IQ is a manual...Still way better than the Smart..

The smart's standard stereo was utterly brilliant...Dread to think how much I'd have to spend to get that quality into my IQ..IQ stereo sounds great but doesnt really do loud..

Have you any idea which Primer I should use..?  Was going to use a Halfords filler type primer, then some white primer to build it up followed by proper 070 code white paint ending with a few coats of lacquer...Its in such a state, no matter how bad a job I do, it really cant look any worse than it does right now...Its only the rear shoulders on the roof that are really letting go...Reckon I'll end up sneezing over the roof to remove the rest and re do the whole roof..

Toyota quoted £17 per 150ml can of 070 code paint..Found a paint shop locally who can supply the exact same paint for pretty much the same price but in a 500ml can...

Looked into getting it wrapped..Quote just to cover the roof came in at £175, so long as I prepped it...Without my prepping price shot up to nearly £300..

Got the car for what I thought was a pretty good price mainly due to the paint being so bad and that the seller really couldnt be bothered to sort out its issues..I travelled 700 miles in total to get it...Cars milage only 82,000 which from what I found out is fairly good..Most of them seem to fetch over £3k with well over 100,000 miles..

Will take some pics of the car over the weekend showing it as it is right now..And will try to put them on here and then to  continue to put more on showing my attics regarding spraying  and what i end up using..Im not proud and dont mind sharing, might help others in same situation...

The main thing is....It's a great car.

P.s...It actually drives like its new...Gears are well nice..Steering perfect..No torque when pulling away or stopping. It doesnt however like being driven like an old biddie, which I am..I hate going over 55mph..The car likes to rev between gears so that affects the mpg slightly..Read somewhere that the engine is actaully a Diahatsu...

The engine is the 1KRFE it is a toyota engine but does have some links to its Daihatsu ancestor (EJ-DE), get the roof done properly, i wouldn't do it with cans it will cost a fortune - primer a good etch primer, then a high build, flat it off in between coats

Vinyl, it needs to be clean and free of loose paint feather any hard paint edges with 600 grit - a roof is a 2-person job, start at 1 end pull it tight and peel back the backing use a felt squeegee to get the air out, you can also use the wet method (water in a spray bottle a 1-2 drops of washing up liquid)

1524mm wide vinyl is from 9 quid a meter depending on colour and finish and make

https://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/vehicle-wrapping

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links