Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dash Cams

2toyos

Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on dash cams, want front and back cams

A lot of Toyota dealers do a front-and-back Nextbase Dashcam package for £350 or something like that? Includes installation.

I quite like the Viofo dashcams, but I had an A129 Pro Duo, which has better resolution and nightvision than the Nextbase, and found it had overheating problems (If parked in direct sunlight, the Dashcam would fail to turn on properly and lock up - I'd have to run the AC for a few minutes to cool the cabin then physically unplug and re-plug it to reset it as it'd stay locked up until power was cut - Very annoying).

If you live further north it might not be such an issue, but the problems I had make it harder to recommend despite it otherwise being very good.

The non-Pro ones supposedly have better heat resistance, but their resolution isn't as high. I currently use an A119v3 which is an older but well proven Dashcam, but it's front only.

Also you'll need to run the cables yourself and get a hardwire kit if you're not using the ciggy lighter for power.

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

A lot of Toyota dealers do a front-and-back Nextbase dashcam package for £350 or something like that? Includes installation.

I quite like the Viofo dashcams, but I had an A129 Pro Duo, which has better resolution and nightvision than the Nextbase, and found it had overheating problems (If parked in direct sunlight, the dashcam would fail to turn on properly and lock up - I'd have to run the AC for a few minutes to cool the cabin then physically unplug and re-plug it to reset it as it'd stay locked up until power was cut - Very annoying).

If you live further north it might not be such an issue, but the problems I had make it harder to recommend despite it otherwise being very good.

The non-Pro ones supposedly have better heat resistance, but their resolution isn't as high. I currently use an A119v3 which is an older but well proven dashcam, but it's front only.

Also you'll need to run the cables yourself and get a hardwire kit if you're not using the ciggy lighter for power.

I have plenty of power points on the intended vehicles, definitely will have a look, the Toyota deal doesn't look that bad, especially with fitting, is that any model/age,  the standard of driving is getting seriously bad, I want that definitive proof

I believe it's for any age of car but you'll have to double-check with them; If it's not one they have instructions for they might turn it down (My ones wanted to charge me an extra £50 and wait 2 weeks as they said they had to remove a non-reusable piece of trim to run the cable to the back and it was on back-order; I took this to mean they didn't know wtf they were doing and ended up doing it myself. I didn't have to remove any un-reusable trim... :laugh: )

• Like 1

There's pros and cons for each model, and every one is going to prefer one manufacturer's model over another.

Personally I prefer the Nextbase Dashcam and have a 412GW fitted to my C-HR. My wife's new Yaris is getting a dealer fitted Nextbase 380GW.

The Dashcam talk forum may help 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I've got the 380gw already fitted when l bought the car but thinking of changing it with a higher resolution camera maybe the viofo front and back. 

I do like the shape of the 380 it's nice and compact if it was the x with the rear camera l would most likely keep it. I have a old 512  2k in my mgb that has been good for the last 4 or 5 years can't remember how long I've had it but it just doesn't looks right on the screen in the toyota 

• 1 month later...

Rear dash-cams sound a great idea, but I've always found the quality poor.

Standard Nextbase in the front for me...

3 hours ago, PCM said:

Rear dash-cams sound a great idea, but I've always found the quality poor.

Standard Nextbase in the front for me...

I found the Nextbase rear with the paired front is good.  I haven't checked yesterday's video but we were almost sideswiped by a truck.  I could see him swaying into the safety lane after he had passed.  I can't check his driving prior to the overtake too. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links